No knot fas snap

philip43

Reaction score
Hopefully someone will reply to this question. I have a couple of those fas snap too, I don't remember when or where I got em? But I would like to know if they are worth using fishing nymphs or streamers. Adios Philip

DonW

Reaction score
Used them spinning years ago, curious too if they work for fly. Someone has to have used them as I acquired several used reels with fly line and fassnaps were on the end of the leader. Now I feel stupid for not trying them before removal, age and health issues are going to force the issue for me soon.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I have used them streamer fishing, when changing colors/patterns.
I suppose you could use them nymphing.....
I always just test to find out something that I need to know.......you should test and report back......
How hard could it be?
You will find hook eye is a limiter...

Jim

jaydub

Reaction score
Someone on another board uses them attach a dropper fly above a blood knot. Seemed like a good idea but, as Bigfly mentioned they won't work with smaller hook eyes.

dakotakid

Reaction score
I use them all the time. The purist probably frowns on them, but I find they are real convenient for quickly changing flies, especially when fishing for bass, crappie and gills. I even use them in salt water, but have to change them more often because the corrosion will weaken them.

I don't get to trout fish as often, but I haven't had any problem catching trout when using them for nymphing. It's important to use as small a size as possible for your particular fly.

I haven't used them for dry fly fishing and suspect they may not be suitable for that application.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Early in my FF career I tried them out (had a couple pkgs from my spin fishing days); and for the most part they worked just fine. Occasionally they would fly off during false-casting. YMMV of course.

flytie09

Reaction score
There’s no way around tying knots with fly fishing. I’d say pass and learn your knots the best you can.

ft09

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
There’s no way around tying knots with fly fishing. I’d say pass and learn your knots the best you can.

ft09
I don't have any problems tying knots but a friend of mine has had surgery in both hands and cant tie anything . Has been this way for a while now and while I don't mind tying a fly on for him sometimes when we are separated on a river if he breaks off or wants to try something different he has to run me down . Hence , will it work ? I'm over a 3hr drive just to get to any kind of fishable water so trying it myself is not an option .

flytie09

Reaction score

flytie09

Reaction score
I know they're not necessarily new......but now they're a Rio product.....

RIO'S FLY CLIPS on Vimeo

I was once scolded years ago by an angler that saw I was using snap swivels when fishing Rapalas while Walleye fishing. He claimed the fish could see them.

I always remembered this...but still used them. In retrospect...I thought he was a horse's behind. I don't want to be that guy....so try them out.