Use topper ring on the end of leader?

boostedprozac

Reaction score
I usually cut the smaller 4-6x tippet side off my leader and add a loop. Then I tie my topper on and adjust for what I’m doing. I was thinking of incorporating a small 2.5mm topper ring to minimize cutting more of my leader off when adjusting. Would that be a good idea to do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
I usually cut the smaller 4-6x tippet side off my leader and add a loop. Then I tie my topper on and adjust for what I’m doing. I was thinking of incorporating a small 2.5mm topper ring to minimize cutting more of my leader off when adjusting. Would that be a good idea to do so?
Please define what you mean by "topper" in your post above. Do you mean tippet and tippet ring with "tippet" in the place of "topper."

If so then, yes, you can cut off the tippet. Then tie the tippet ring onto the leader and then tie the tippet you cut off back on to the tippet ring. The result is the same leader with a tippet between the leader transition section and the tippet.

fr8dog

Reaction score
I'm a warmwater guy but the tippet rings are great! Easy to tie on a new tippet. Saves the main leader. I like them.

proheli

Reaction score
A few questions then, please.

Example 5X. 9 or 12” leader.

How far down from the butt end until it gets to the 5X.

Lets say you cut off 3 feet from the tippet end, can you add 6 feet of all 5X, or will your line not turn over 6’ of level tippit?

If the tippet ring is only 3-5’ from the fly, could this scare the fish?

My most probable application would be a 9’ 5X cut back 2”, with 5’ of 6X to a dry fly, and then another 1” of 7X if I was going to run an emerger dropper.

silver creek

Reaction score
A few questions then, please.

Example 5X. 9 or 12” leader.

How far down from the butt end until it gets to the 5X.

Lets say you cut off 3 feet from the tippet end, can you add 6 feet of all 5X, or will your line not turn over 6’ of level tippit?

If the tippet ring is only 3-5’ from the fly, could this scare the fish?

My most probable application would be a 9’ 5X cut back 2”, with 5’ of 6X to a dry fly, and then another 1” of 7X if I was going to run an emerger dropper.
The Charles Ritz leader formula which many leaders follow is 40% butt, 20% transition, and 20% transition. The shorthand is the 60/20/20 leader.

Leader formulas | Global FlyFisher | In order to calculate the proper formula of a fly fishing leader, you need to understand the basics of leader design.

20% of 9 ft = 21.6" and 20% of 12 ft = 28.8" for tippet vs leader.

I find that the "best" way does not involve any measuring at all and does not require a tippet gauge. Take the tippet end of the leader and place it next to the middle of the leader and then move the end of the tippet down the leader until the diameters match. You will have found where the transition section ends and the tippet begins. Cut at that point, tie in the tippet ring and then tie in the section of tippet you cut off. You will have the same leader length except for the amount used for the knots.

Of course once you have tied the tippet ring at the end of the transition you can modify the tippet as you wish.

It would be very unusual for the tippet ring to "scare" the fish.

boostedprozac

Reaction score
This is perfect! Yes the ring can be In Sight of the fish but it has never spooked the fish that I know of. We’re talking like 1.8 to 2mm. Too small to worry I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownbass

Reaction score
I just buy a 7 !/2 foot leader at whatever X I deem heavy enough for nymphs. For the dry fly, I may use a 9 foot leader and tie the tippet ring and the tippet on from there. Simpier for my simple mind.

Bill