Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why do my knots keep breaking ?

Hi there, I have a newbie question for you folks. My clinch knots keep breaking as I cinch them tight. Yes, I wet the knot before pulling it , don't use the tag end to tighten them, tried tying them loosely before pulling the knot, and yes, I don't use antique tippet material. But it frequently takes four or so tries to get one that holds. Is there some fundamental aspect that I am missing here? Oh, yeah, I NEVER have this problem on 4x or larger. Only the small stuff. Any and all help gratefully accepted and thanks!

Richard M. Pleasant Hill Ca.

2. Thanks Nix thanked for this post

Default Re: Why do my knots keep breaking ?

Getting the obvious stuff off the table: A good knot in 6x is easy to break. Trouthunter nylon 7x is rated at 2.2#. You're not testing with more force than a knot in the material should hold by chance?

4. Likes rangerrich99 liked this post

It's probably something that you're doing while cinching it down. Usually, there's a friction thing happening here, or your wraps are crossing, or your hooks have a rough spot, or any number of things. Try a different knot - we all have our favorites. There are many knot threads on this site. For the small stuff, I like the San Diego Jam but I'm sure you will get plenty of answers and more info than is readily digestible.

I don't have a good answer for you. You've already answered my initial questions. So, I'm stumped as well.

I don't use a clinch knot often. I've taken to using an Orvis knot or, sometimes, a Uni knot to fasten my tippet to a hook. If I do use a Clinch, I typically tie the 'improved' version, but mostly out of superstition.

I'd be curious to know if other knots are also failing for you, and not just the Clinch knot.
    Tight lines!

How many turns are you making. I find for 5x or 6x 7 turns work best for me. Any less and my knots slip. Any more and the knot does not cinch up properly.

Blog Entries

Probably someone else has already hit on the answer, but I'll toss in my thoughts anyway, just in case.

Have you tried a different knot? It might be that how you're tying a clinch knot it slightly off, or that knot might just not be the best for smaller diameter tippet. Or maybe the knot itself just tends to produce more friction when cinching than another knot might.

Have you noticed if your line is curling at all after you tighten up your knots? If so, that would be an indication of excessive friction during the cinching/tightening down of your knots. The solution(s) would be to either use more spit or cinch your knots more slowly. Or both.

For myself, I don't use 6x or smaller tippet much if I can help it, but when I do, I don't cinch down my knots as tightly as I do when using larger diameter tippet. Or I should say to be more precise, I try to be a lot more gentle about cinching down my knots, I lube the knot a second time just before tightening it down, and I cinch them down much more slowly than I would with 3x or 4x for example. And I don't give them a 'test jerk/pull' before I fish them. With 6x tippet, I just tie the knot and fish it, figuring the fish will give me the test pull if the fly gets bit.

Finally, have you tried a different tippet? I once had some 5x tippet that broke every time a fish hit my fly. I checked it of course, but found no evidence of fraying, roughness, or whatever. And it was brand new, so I knew age wasn't probably a factor (who knows how long it sat on the hanger). Fortunately I had a spare spool of some other brand and I tried that after losing 4 or 5 fish. The other stuff held. I still have no idea what the deal was with that other spool (I'd used the same brand before without issues), but now I always carry a spare spool of some other brand in 5x and 6x, just in case.

Like I said, just some things to consider.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Here are some numbers to look at to consider how strong your knots should be. Clinch knot in 6x nylon -- 2 to 2.5 pounds.

Fly Fishing knot comparison Chart - Yellowstone Angler

Blog Entries

Buy another spool of tippet from another maker (same breaking strain) and see if you still have a problem. Sometimes the tippet material is faulty or beyond its use-by date.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    FFi Certified Casting Instructor

Failing to practice is practicing to fail.

11. Likes bumble54 liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Hirdy View Post
    Buy another spool of tippet from another maker (same breaking strain) and see if you still have a problem. Sometimes the tippet material is faulty or beyond its use-by date.Cheers,Graeme
    That can often be the cure.I took a brand new spool of 12lb. (0x) G3 Airflo Sightfree to C.I.last year and it broke too many time for my liking...sorry Airflo.
    Last edited by dynaflow; 02-26-2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: change

13. Default Re: Why do my knots keep breaking ?

Many people use this knot, but after too many fish lost due to bad clinch knots I have given up on this one. There are better knots available.

14. Likes irideaduck liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast