My Fly Line Has No Welded Loop, What knot please

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

My fly line does not have a welded loop on the end of it.

Is there a knot and if so, which knot do I use to put a loop in there. Its a very small diameter line, ultralight fly fishing.

Thanks for any help sending me in the right direction.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just install a braided loop---pretty simply, Do you have a fly shop near you ?, if so take it there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No unfortunately the box stores ran our two fly shops out of business. I am thinking the nearest shop is over 100 miles away now.

Maybe I can order one.

Thank you!

plecain

Reaction score
I used those Chinese finger trap loops for quite a while.
Now I use an Albright knot to tie a short piece of 40# Maxima to the fly line. Then I tie a perfection loop in that. It's short, maybe 3-4 inches.

dillon

Reaction score
Back in the day, before loops became the popular standard, we would attach the butt section of the leader to the flyline with a nail knot. I still prefer this method as it is a smoother connection. When it's time for a new leader cut the old leader off, leaving it about a foot of from the flyline. Then attach the new leader to it with a nail knot. There has been a ton of stuff written about leaders on this forum. It's almost mind boggling...

flav

Reaction score
Fold the tip of the line on itself to make a loop. Then use 6 to 10 lb mono and tie a nail knot over both legs of the loop. Snug up the nail knot partway, but before you tighten it down position the legs of the loop till it's the size you want, then tighten it. Trim the knot and any extra flyline then coat with UV glue if you want to smooth it out. I've been doing this for years on everything from trout to steelhead to saltwater and never had a loop fail.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Take a piece of 30# mono (or the butt end of a used leader) and nail knot it on to the end of the line
It might take a few tries. Nail knots are hard
Then about 4 or 6 inches out, tie a perfection loop for the loop2loop connection.

Good knots are a fly fishing fundamental. Don't be afraid of learning how to do them right.

Reaction score
Thank you all for all your help. I think I can get something rigged up and I really appreciate the video's and instruction graphics.

This was all a big help and I appreciate it very much.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nail knots are great until you snag the bottom and pull hard and lose the whole shooting match :) install a loop and never look back :) CB

huronfly

Reaction score
Fold the line into a loop, use strong tying thread and tightly wrap a an inch or so of fly line just like starting to tie a fly, whip finish and cure superglue and UV knot sense.

Reaction score
I've got her all done and tested out.

My wife's fly tying stuff is in storage so I don't have my thread bobbin nor whip finisher so ……….

I did the Albright knot to get my backing and fly line together. That frustrated me and took a good bit before I finally could get it right with my wife's help.

Then I took one of my loop leaders, cut it off at about 6 inches and nail knotted it onto the fly line to give me a loop.

I took the remaining leader and tied a perfection loop on it to create a new loop on the leader so it wasn't wasted.

Then I did loop to loop leader to line connection.

I took it outside and tested it all out. Worked great.

I just have a very difficult time with knots. Always have since a kid.

I learned today, thanks to everyone's help.

Again, much appreciated.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I have become a fan of the Seegar Knot. It's fast and easy to tie and depending on application coat it with UV cement to smooth transition. MUCH easier to tie than the Nail and Blood Knot.

r reese

Reaction score
Nail not a buy end of a leader or piece of amnesia to fly line about 2 inches long. Then you will have a permanent loop

Lonnie Utah

Reaction score
Just install a braided loop---pretty simply, Do you have a fly shop near you ?, if so take it there.
The OP already has his solution, but you can make your own braided loop connectors for pennies.

Years ago (20+) I bought 100 feet of Cortland 30 lb braided monofiliment. I think (back then) I paid $6 (and I still have close to 90 feet left). You then follow the instruction listed here:

Make your own braided loops — Trout Fisherman

As an alternative to the whip finish, you can use a piece of heat shrink tubing.

Now when I see a pack of 4 premade loops for between $6 and $10, I just chuckle...

original cormorant

Reaction score
I've got her all done and tested out.

My wife's fly tying stuff is in storage so I don't have my thread bobbin nor whip finisher so ……….

I did the Albright knot to get my backing and fly line together. That frustrated me and took a good bit before I finally could get it right with my wife's help.

Then I took one of my loop leaders, cut it off at about 6 inches and nail knotted it onto the fly line to give me a loop.

I took the remaining leader and tied a perfection loop on it to create a new loop on the leader so it wasn't wasted.

Then I did loop to loop leader to line connection.

I took it outside and tested it all out. Worked great.

I just have a very difficult time with knots. Always have since a kid.

I learned today, thanks to everyone's help.

Again, much appreciated.
Just a couple of things to add..
When you say you tested it how hard did you pull and how much of a jerk did you give it?
Don't hold back, far better for you to break it now rather than a fish on the water. Don't learn the hard way that it's not upto the job.

Second point: for loop to loop with a mono to flyline loop to loop the biggest risk is the mono cutting through the flyline. Mitigate that by passing the mono loop twice through the flyline loop to double the knot which will help to spread the load.

sixwtslinger

Reaction score
I've used all methodover the years and preffer the simplicity and convienience of the loop. I have a pretty good supply of braided loops in different sizes. If you still need one, PM me and I'll mail you one out.

bigspencer

Reaction score
Nail Knot Alternative.....
Texasrimfirenut, HA!...jeez I guess I'm late enough....anyways if you ever get stuck in same predicament(sp?) without a pre-made loop, you don't have to go with a complete/complex Nail Knot. Form a somewhat long, thin loop with the end of flyline, then do the similar 6 or so turns of the leader around the thinly looped flyline and then simply put the leader end through the loop in the flyline. Big thing is...pull evenly with both leader and end of leader to tighten both ends of the leader wound around the flyline.... Believe me, get it evenly taught and it'll hold...IF you get used to holding the leader while winding it around the flyline loop. Tie a simple knot at the very end of the leader(after it passes through the flyline loop) for a safety knot to hold.
Rip Tide's complete Nail Knot is indeed a great knot....and learning one's knots makes life a lot easier.

The Mad Duck

Reaction score
Normally, I can whip a nail knot to a piece of fly line to a 30lb butt section of amnesia line faster than I can inchworm a braided leader on (older eyes). I usually put a dot of UV resin on the knot to keep water from entering the flyline. I use about 12-18 inches of the amnesia and whip a perfection loop in the running end of the amnesia for loop to loop connection to the leader/tippet