Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Mid section of taper to first section of tippet material, what knot?

OP, I like the Surgeon Knot for forming loops which are stronger than Perfection Loops but dislike it in leader segment construction. It is inelegant and worse sets the segments attached at a slight off angle. I employ Blood Knots exclusively (except for the rare use of the Ligature Knot just for tippets in the salt). With your climbing background, fishing knots will cone easily to you and just as up on the mountain, CHECK your knots...better you break them than a big fish.

Silver Creek knows his stuff but I must disagree a little. I'd rather you practice and learn to tie perfect Blood Knots just with your hands and no aids. There are no better knot tools than your hands and eschewing them promotes self reliance when refashioning your leader or tippet streamside. I do use a thin tube when tying Nail Knots but all others are done without mechanical aid. Oh, and I eschew all Maxima types in favor or more contemporary copolymer monofilament such as RIO, TroutHunters EVO, etc.

2. Likes original cormorant liked this post
  3. Default Re: Mid section of taper to first section of tippet material, what knot?

Quote Originally Posted by jofer View Post
    Try this one. Strong, quick and easy:Infinity Tippet Knot

Jofer
    Looks like a useful knot. Iíll see if I canít find that instruction by a right hander, my brain goes to meltdown mode trying to reverse it.

Default Re: Mid section of taper to first section of tippet material, what knot?

One tip I recently learned about the blood knot. Rather than tying two knots, going in opposite directions and then tightening- overlap the two sections of line- leader and tippet- then, using the "leader" portion (take a long enough section here), make all your turns with that piece. Make 5 turns and tuck the tippet in the gap and pinch. Make 5 more turns and tuck that leader section you have made all your turns with thru the gap at the pinch point, but in the opposite direction. Pull to tighten. Done! MUCH easier way to tie the blood knot for me~ Give it a try-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Likes MichaelCPA liked this post

question, I like tying blood knots but what about using rings? once you get back down close to the ring, you only need to tie 1 knot. Of course if using rings, from time to time re tie the upper ring knot.
    Sometimes you eat the Bear & sometimes the Bear eats you

If you tie the double or triple overhand knot around each piece with the other piece as in the grapevine bend aka fisherman's bend. you will have secure jam knot join that I can do in the cold or rain. I used to use blood knots and could tie them quickly at home or in the truck, not so much with wet fingers. You can search the Solis leader knot for a very strong small knot.
    If you scroll down on this page The most Fishing Knots on the internet, animated and step-by-step illustrated | NetKnots Fishing Knots there is a list of many knots used in fishing and in some cases several names for each, links to animated versions of how to tie.

8. Default Re: Mid section of taper to first section of tippet material, what knot?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    OP, I like the Surgeon Knot for forming loops which are stronger than Perfection Loops but dislike it in leader segment construction. It is inelegant and worse sets the segments attached at a slight off angle. I employ Blood Knots exclusively (except for the rare use of the Ligature Knot just for tippets in the salt). With your climbing background, fishing knots will cone easily to you and just as up on the mountain, CHECK your knots...better you break them than a big fish.

Silver Creek knows his stuff but I must disagree a little. I'd rather you practice and learn to tie perfect Blood Knots just with your hands and no aids. There are no better knot tools than your hands and eschewing them promotes self reliance when refashioning your leader or tippet streamside. I do use a thin tube when tying Nail Knots but all others are done without mechanical aid. Oh, and I eschew all Maxima types in favor or more contemporary copolymer monofilament such as RIO, TroutHunters EVO, etc.
    i feel that it's good to learn how to tie knots w/o mechanical help first, but this method made tying blood knots at home more enjoyable

that said, i can tie a double surgeons with thin tippet a lot faster on the water without using up nearly as much material as a blood knot.
    "There's only one thing wrong with a fishing day--its staggering brevity.Ē Ė Zane Grey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123