Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do you half hitch after your clinch knot?

I use a clinch knot most of the time. I usually tie, test, relax the line and test again. Then inspect, clip the tag end if necessary and test again. Can't remember the last time I broke off on a fish due to a knot failure. I have had weak tippet before but that is usually found during testing. I do always keep a spare spool of fresh 5x in my pocket just in case. Tippet can be compromised by sun or if bug spray or sunscreen gets on it. If tippet is suspected of being compromised I get rid of it, makes no sense to loose fish and flys to a couple of dollars worth of tippet.

Regards,

Tim C.

I use the improved clinch knot and have no problems with it

I've used an Improved clinch knot as my primary knot for almost 50 years now. When tied right, there is little reason to change unless you need a loop and or something smaller.
    That said, I've struggled with tieing this knot this last year or so as my eyes and fingers feel their age. Resultantly, I was starting to get slippage due to poorly tied knots.
    I've reciently I discovered the use of Hemostats to tie knots . (There are a few demo's on UTube) I just hold the tag of the line with the hemo and weave the tip around the standing line to tie the Improved clinch and double davy knots. WOW! It now takes me 30 seconds to get a perfect knot every time! I wish I had learned this 20 years ago!

In over 30 years of tying terminal tackle knots I have settled on the Orvis Knot. I think the Clinch works. The Improved Clinch works. The Davy knots work. A lot of the knot failures come from not seating the knots properly. Lube them and seat slowly and firmly. The lighter the tippet the more critical the operation. For Bass fishing with heavy tippets I usually go with the Trilene Knot. And the Kreh knot for loop to streamer connection. I use the Seaguar Knot for tippet to leader connections (using forceps to speed tie). Sometimes I use a Uni-knot. I use an Albright knot to create a loop in leaders for loop to loop connection to fly line. Today most leaders and fly lines come with loops. See Automated knots by Grog for tying instructions.
    "On the water...the perfect cast...a beautiful fish...fooled at last!"
    O J Chartrand Jr

5. Default Do you half hitch after your clinch knot?

I almost exclusively use non-slip loop knots.

IMO the presentation of dry flies as well as nymphs and small streamers are greatly improved by having the fly able to move on the loop. More takes by sceptic fish and it also allows you to go small on hooks without dropping to really thin tippet.

I havenít had a single knot breakage this season.

But I do routinely retie the fly after catching fish that have put up a good fight, or if I have had to work a snag, as abrasion of the tippet loop by the eye of the hook under strain will eventually weaken it. The added bonus of this routine (when fishing the surface) is a dry fly (literally).

For a long time the clinch knot was THE knot I always used. When I first started using the non-slip loop knot I was a bit sceptical and did 50/50 trials, keeping a record of knot failures. I did not take long before I decided that I didnít like the odds on the clinch at all.

To answer the question - If I want to trust a clinch knot these days I half hitch. I still use the clinch knot sometimes when finer presentations are not an issue but snags are.

Full disclosure - Iím kind of a slow learner with knots. Iíve been boating, fishing, climbing, rapelling, doing mountain and fast water rope rescues etc for 25 years - but every new knot I learned always required me to put in three to four times more effort than others. Iíve spent quite some time carrying rope stumps around for practice.

So If thereís an even better loop knot (Lefty Krehís orvis special-guaranteed to never fail-never slip-perfection loop knot) I might not have tried it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by haziz View Post
    I noticed a professional guide place a couple of half hitches after tying a clinch knot (or it could have been an improved clinch), when tying tippet to fly (trout flies); I think, after he got fairly frustrated with me losing a fly every couple of minutes. Having tried it myself since then, I think I am losing far less flies than I used to, and it only adds 30 seconds or so to attaching the fly.

Anybody add a couple of half hitches, after making a fairly competent clinch knot or improved clinch?
    Haven't read the whole thread, so if someone said this already, just ignore this.

My gut reaction to the OP is that tying a half-hitch after tying a clinch knot is only going to address the problem of a poorly tied clinch knot slipping under pressure. Tie a better clinch knot, and make the half-hitch unnecessary.

Bottom line, if you're having trouble with your knots failing, switch knots. Back in the day, I tried out clinch knots, even before I started fly-fishing, and had a few problems with them. There were probably a few reasons for this, including my inexperience tying them, but my fix was to simply switch to a knot that doesn't slip, a Palomar.

When I began fly fishing, I found that sometimes tying a Palomar was impractical, so I switched again to a Uni-knot. I did try out and can tie a variety of other terminal knots, but overall the Uni-knot has been the best knot for me to tie.

Whatever your knot ends up being, find it. A clinch knot doesn't seem to be your knot.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Leaving half hitches and "my favorite knot" aside, NEVER settle on a knot in any part of your rigging because it has always worked for you. ALWAYS experiment with new-to-you knots. Learn to tie and seat them correctly and test them against your go-to as in osseos's post above. I am not using the same leader making materials, rigging techniques and knots I used in the 1970's, 80's even 90's...I've learned new and improved methods and knots...by trying them. My current favorite tippet to dry fly knot is hard to tie as it requires passing the tippet through the hook eye twice and my close up vison is aging. It takes a little longer but I get it done using just my fingers.

8. Likes el jefe, haziz liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123