Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you half hitch after your clinch knot?

I noticed a professional guide place a couple of half hitches after tying a clinch knot (or it could have been an improved clinch), when tying tippet to fly (trout flies); I think, after he got fairly frustrated with me losing a fly every couple of minutes. Having tried it myself since then, I think I am losing far less flies than I used to, and it only adds 30 seconds or so to attaching the fly.

Anybody add a couple of half hitches, after making a fairly competent clinch knot or improved clinch?
    Last edited by haziz; 08-01-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you half hitch after your clinch knot?

I think improved Clinch knot should be sufficient if tied correctly. Who tied the knots that failed? I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions for favorite knots but I have used the Improved Clinch knot for most of my life and find it works most of the time.

Bill

3. Thanks haziz thanked for this post
    Likes fr8dog liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    I think improved Clinch knot should be sufficient if tied correctly. Who tied the knots that failed? I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions for favorite knots but I have used the Improved Clinch knot for most of my life and find it works most of the time.

Bill
    Initially, the flies were attached by the guide (> 30 years professional guiding experience).

Blog Entries

Occasionally, I have days were my hands and eyes don't seem to work together as well as I would like. On those frustrating days, I just have to slow down and make sure I get that knot right. I have friends that are switching over to the Double Davy knot. While it works I seem to switch back to the Improved Clinch. Muscle memory I guess. I try to imagine adding a Half Hitch behind a Clinch knot and I just don't see it working, for me at least.

Bill

6. Likes spm liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    I have friends that are switching over to the Double Davy knot.
    That's what I use about 90% of the time, even in saltwater where there might be big fish.

I can tie it in the dark. I can tie it with my forceps. It doesn't, however, work well at all with fluorocarbon. My workaround for that is to use monofilament.
    Do or do not. There is no 'try'. - Yoda

Paul

I heard thoughts and seen tests on knots.

I've always used a simple cinch knot. From smallmouth to catfish, steelhead and salmon, never lost a fish due to the knot. I even use it on braid when I spin fish for salmon with my non-fly fishing friends.

When/if it becomes a problem, I'll tie a different knot.

Adding a half hitch to finish a clinch would weaken the knot as all knots that pinch (like an overhand casting knot) cause a shear point. Bad news: while most guides are good at knot tying, some are as bad as the average angler. Doing something wrong for 30 years does not make it better.

10. Likes flytie09, brownbass, City Rat, tsmervis liked this post

If you tie your knots correctly, you don't need any added gimmicks
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Simple answer: Test it! I tell people this all the time, but for some reason, few are willing to simply test their connections.

Tie one knot to a hook. At the other end, tie a second hook with the other knot. Take two sets of pliers. Pull the the two apart until failure. Repeat the test a few times until you reach a consensus about which knot is stronger. Now you know. Until you do this yourself, you are just going on blind faith.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13. Likes brownbass liked this post
  14. Default Re: Do you half hitch after your clinch knot?

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Simple answer: Test it! I tell people this all the time, but for some reason, few are willing to simply test their connections.

Tie one knot to a hook. At the other end, tie a second hook with the other knot. Take two sets of pliers. Pull the the two apart until failure. Repeat the test a few times until you reach a consensus about which knot is stronger. Now you know. Until you do this yourself, you are just going on blind faith.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I agree except that this implies a steadily increasing pressure. A jerk will simulate better how knots fail in fishing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast