Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Trouble tying the Perfection loop.

Usually, when I try, I pull the second loop through the first and the whole knot just slips and unravels. After a few tries, it finally works. This is a simple knot but I keep having trouble. any suggestions?

Default Re: Trouble tying the Perfection loop.

Just keep practicing

3. Likes dennyk, el jefe, Ard, mcnerney, bumble54 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Use a little more line than you think you need. Form bigger loops than you might desire on a finished knot. Then, once you get the second loop into the first loop you can work on shaping it down to the size you want. I put something like a large hook into the formed and sized loop to do the final tightening, tip of a ball point pen works too. The finished loop can be any size you want, but I tend to like them to be about a pencil diameter in size.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

5. Likes Ard, camelbrass liked this post
    Blog Entries

What the guys have said is good advice, those of us who can tie knots in the dark using only feel got that way through repetition. Blood knots, double surgeon, perfection loop, whatever, everyone had to go through the same process.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Likes jwbowen, jangles, Bigfly liked this post

"Pinch! Then pull-"

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ny yankee View Post
    Usually, when I try, I pull the second loop through the first and the whole knot just slips and unravels. After a few tries, it finally works. This is a simple knot but I keep having trouble. any suggestions?
    Are you sure that you're grabbing the correct loop? If you grab the third loop that you make, instead of the second loop, the knot will unravel.
    "We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About"

Interesting to see the video, I've never considered using it for a streamer. Might try it!

This video should help you hold the knot together when pulling the second loop through the first loop. I do it this way using my thumb and forefinger, sometimes using the middle finger if my tag is long enough. Or else I just move my thumb over when pulling the loop through.

steve

I find that wrapping the line around my thumb to form the second loop helps. Then the third pass of the tag just gets laid between those two loops and everything stays pinched under the thumb while pulling the second /smaller loop through. If you have trouble grabbing that loop without loosening your pinch, try grabbing/hooking it with a set of hemostats..

FWIW, I found that keeping a 3-4' piece of mono and large hook by my computer allowed me to practice tying specific knots more frequently ( read: every time I sat at teh computer.). If you do something similar and tie the knot 3-6 times a day for a week, it will quickly become second nature.
    Last edited by sixwtslinger; 09-06-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    Use a little more line than you think you need. Form bigger loops than you might desire on a finished knot. Then, once you get the second loop into the first loop you can work on shaping it down to the size you want. I put something like a large hook into the formed and sized loop to do the final tightening, tip of a ball point pen works too. The finished loop can be any size you want, but I tend to like them to be about a pencil diameter in size.
    I agree with everything said there, and would add one point. After you put one loop through the other, alternate tightening the two ends a little at a time until you get a small knot but one that isn't fully tightened. Then insert a pen or something similar into the loop and really haul the standing end tight. Another little trick I've learned is when I put the second loop through the first, I give it a 180 twist and then pinch it between my finger and thumb. That seems to keep it from slipping back out through the first loop, and it helps me regulate the final size of the loop.
    People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.

14. Likes karstopo liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast