Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ever seen this loop knot?

That's my go-to knot for streamers, shanks, and tubes. It's a very common knot.
    Danny

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    It basically sounds like a non-slip mono loop, but with that knot you go around the standing end of the line after you pass the tag end back through the open overhand knot, then back through the overhand, then tighten the loop.

Non-Slip Mono Loop

The animated instructions say to go around the standing end 5-6 times. I only ever go around 3 times, even with 7X, and have never had a problem. I always leave a small tag to allow for slippage.
    Looks like a Lefty's Loop to me mate...

3. Likes original cormorant liked this post
  4. Default Re: Ever seen this loop knot?

It’s a Homer Rhodes loop knot.

Good knot.

Regards,

Trevor
    Last edited by camelbrass; 09-06-2019 at 10:42 AM.

5. Likes trev liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by camelbrass View Post
    It’s a Homer Rhodes loop knot.

Good knot.

Regards,

Trevor
    Bingo! We have a winner.

FWIW, I use this knot as I find it easier than most loop knots to tie in the field (with ageing eyes and fingers :-) If using light mono, I make an extra pass or two through the final overhand knot (a la Uni knot). Good knot for fishing poppers on heavy tippets.

7. Likes trev liked this post

".....but I have NEVER seen any reference to this version of a loop knot. Have you? What is it's name."

As others have said it's a Homer Rhode - two overhand knots jamming each other. It was the easiest loop knot to tie in the old days of 100 lb Mason Hard Shockers or "Bite Tippets".

Homer Rhodes lived about 15 miles from where I grew up and fished the same snook water as my father and I did ocassionally. Everglades City/Chokolosskee area. He fished for snook in the Tamiami trail closer to Florida Bay, I caught bass in the Tamiami Trail closer to Hialeah. It was a long bike trip.

A bunch of the videos call knots with surgeons either on the main line or the tag end or both, Homer Rhode knots but they are not. Orvis calls one of the them an "Improved" Homer Rhode, saying they are best for 30lb and under tippet. I don't know about that.

The old guys I fished with used them on heavy bite tippets. Here's an interesting article about him on MidCurrent.

Profile: Homer Rhode Jr. | MidCurrent
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

9. Thanks trev thanked for this post
    Likes camelbrass liked this post
  10. Default Re: Ever seen this loop knot?

Definitely for heavy tippets. It's a popular knot with the guides in the Seychelles on leaders in excess of 80lb when chasing GTs.

Trevor

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I've seen this referred to as Homer Rhode loop for many years in books and magazines, but farm boys tied the same knot in ropes long before I was born.
    I used it for fishing before I ever saw it published, you can use two round turns or make a double over hand knot to be more secure. Leave the first over hand knot out and the "round twice & through twice" knot will draw tight to the hook and has served me better than any other terminal knot. The weakest part being the first overhand knot that forms the loop,ime.
    Homer Rhode Loop Knot - How to tie the Homer Rhode Loop Knot animated and illustrated. | Fishing Knots

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12