Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ever seen this loop knot?

I watched Roland Martin do this on one of his tutorials. You tie a loose overhand knot in the main line, go through the hook eye leaving the overhand knot down near the eye, go back up through the overhand knot, and tie another overhand knot around the main line and cinch it down snug. Cinch up the first knot snug and then draw the two together tightly, forming a no-slip loop. He said he has used it for years but I have NEVER seen any reference to this version of a loop knot. Have you? What is it's name?

Default Re: Ever seen this loop knot?

That is close to the saltwater loop knot I use for streamers and stinger hooks on tube flies.

It basically sounds like a non-slip mono loop, but with that knot you go around the standing end of the line after you pass the tag end back through the open overhand knot, then back through the overhand, then tighten the loop.

Non-Slip Mono Loop

The animated instructions say to go around the standing end 5-6 times. I only ever go around 3 times, even with 7X, and have never had a problem. I always leave a small tag to allow for slippage.

Blog Entries

Sounds a lot like a Rapala Loop. There's several loop knots out there. I use the Rapala.
    Presentations made
    Sighted fish, structure and sign
    Eats, but never blind

5. Likes dharkin liked this post

+1 for what he said^^^^^^^

It is a simplified and inferior version of the justifiably popular Non-Slip Loop Knot widely employed for strip-and-pause techniques like streamers and saltwater flies.

8. Likes Rip Tide liked this post
    Blog Entries

There are as many variations of the knot as there are people who say they invented it, for rigging tube flies I make a similar knot known affectionately as 'the jam knot'.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Ard, the knot described by the op is a jam knot, I plumb forgot that term, thanks.

Some folks attribute the Non-Slip Loop to Lefty Kreh and he does have a slight variation on it in his Knot Book. However, Florida Keys guides have been using that knot long before his write-up which may well be where he learned it. I was shown it by a guide out of Plantation Key back in the day and he had been shown it by an older guide and so on. It may be of unknown origin but is a great knot, strong and affords maximum mobility to the paused fly in both fresh and salt water.

No-Slip-Loop-Knot.jpg

11. Likes dharkin liked this post
    Blog Entries

Yep that's it Richard, I tie them sometimes with as much as 3/4 inch between the knot and the hook eye. That distance varies based on the length of my extension tube, otherwise known as the hook holding tubing. The idea is that in the event the fly / hook is broken off the loop that the knot will stop your tube which actually has the fly dressings tied onto it will not be lost. The knot will (in some cases) become 'jammed' into the rear portion of the tube fly and you will retain the fly to fight another day.

My experience would indicate that it's about a 50/50 split on whether or not I lose the tube fly or just the hook. In the events where I retained the tube it is necessary to bring it home where I can use either the tying mandrel or dubbing needle to knock the knot out of the tube. Once removed the tube goes back into the fly box.

I've seen it used for regular streamer and salmon fly fishing but became associated with it via the use of tube flies.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

13. Likes clsmith131 liked this post

The way I rig a stinger hook on a tube fly is to pinch the end of the loop and poke it through the eye of the hook. Then bring the loop around the bend of the hook and pull it snug to the eye of the hook. The loop is tied longer than the length of the tube. The knot is pulled into the tube until it stops near the head of the fly leaving the hook trailing an inch or two behind the tube. This is also a good way to rig a tandem tube fly. On a fly with a traditional hook the purpose of the loop knot is to give the fly more action but not on a tube fly as the stinger hook is trailing the fly.
    Last edited by dillon; 09-05-2019 at 07:14 PM.

15. Likes clsmith131 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast