Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nail Knot Reliable For Backing?

I've never had an issue with a nail knot either as the weak link is always in the tippet for trout. When changing lines on trout gear I usually leave the knot, cut the backing a few feet back and just reconnect backing ends. Sometimes I use an Albright knot for backing to line.

Blog Entries

I nail knot and then test thoroughly, a few years ago I had a 52 pound King take out backing and I reeled him back three times before finally netting him. Nail knots are cool with me and there is zero bulk at the junction.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes tcorfey liked this post

For all of my lines to backing I use a braided mono loop to loop (3x) with a bimini twist on the backing (I use 27 turns as I read that was sufficient for Lefty when he fished for marlin, so more than strong enough for me); I have had nail knots strip off the fly line coating and, when I utilized the welded loops on fly lines, I've had them become torn and shredded by mono. I routinely remove welded loops and replace them with my own braided mono loops. Way more durable, convenient and very strong connections... Highly recommend this method. Just be sure not to create a hinging effect by using too heavy braided mono on the front, leader attached end with trout lines. 20-25# test braided mono is fine for lower wt trout lines. I do use 35 or 50# test braided mono loops on heavier wt lines and on all line backend to backing loop connections where hinging is a non-issue. The chinese finger torture is significantly stronger than a nail knot
    finem respice
    Tom Morgan :::
    "I would say there is quite a bit of crossover in that a good rod is a good rod is a good rod. What you are really looking at are attributes and characteristics.... I have really strong convictions that you need to make a rod that is going to fish for Trout in the 20 to 55 foot range. If it doesn't really bend or flex for that, then you have got the wrong rod. So with any one of the materials the characteristics of the rod in my opinion should still be the same."

I'd just put a loop in the back of the flyline.

6. Likes dynaflow liked this post

To each his own I guess, I dislike loops on flyline. The Albright works well for backing and is I believe stronger than loop or nail knot.

8. Likes Southerncaster liked this post
    Blog Entries

I think there's something everyone could agree on and that is that unless you are using a 30 pound leader / tippet to worry about the line to backing connection may not be necessary. I never go past 15 pound on the tippets even fishing for Kings which can be big fish. On a trout rod as long as the connection can withstand a good testing there should be no great concern. Incidentally, that large king salmon was the first time I'd seen the backing go out the rod in years and I haven't seen it since. I was fortunate to get that fish in the net because my experiences have demonstrated that fish that get over 100 feet away often end up coming loose. The big guy didn't do any wild runs, he just decided to swim down river. Even though I followed him the current allowed him to stay ahead of me and stay into the backing.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

10. Likes trev, Southerncaster liked this post

The only fish I've caught in my area that have taken me into the backing were river stripers in the 20 and 30 lb ranges. For me that's big. They were all caught on 8wt lines nail-knotted with the backing and most often a 15 lb end section/tippet. On a few occasions I've used a 20lb end section. Even though I never had a problem with a nail knot, I started using an Albright regularly with lines 7 & up. Just as you expressed, I don't worry about connections with my trout gear other than the tippet, but I do always test my knots well on any gear.

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

The golden rule in salt water fly fishing is Nail Knots are OK below 6wt.and anything above...braided loop to loop connections.

13. Default Re: Nail Knot Reliable For Backing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I think there's something everyone could agree on and that is that unless you are using a 30 pound leader / tippet to worry about the line to backing connection may not be necessary. .
    Another knot not to worry about is the backing to reel arbor knot. I'm always amused by recommendations for this knot - if you get that far it's too late

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12