Nail Knot

bekiu002

Reaction score
Could I use a nail knot to tie the leader to the tippet? I am very bad at knots but I have a tie-knot fast tool (can only be used to tie nail knots, I think) so I was wondering how often and in different situations I could use it.
Thanks, Cabot

HookEmHorns

Reaction score
Hey Cabot,
If I am correct, I have the same knot tying tool as you have got. I usually just tie two nail knots and slide them together... I know it isn't really the right thing to do, but it's pretty close really. lol
I haven't had any problems with that connection, but I don't know what kind of fishing you will be doing. I use this setup because with leaders and tippet, if you don't use two of these knots, then one of them will slide off the leader and it will really be useless as you can probably see.
I don't know if anyone else has any better ideas (and I'm sure there are a lot better ones out there) But that is what works for me.
Hopefully this helps some!
HookEmHorns

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Cabot: I don't see why the nail knot would not work. However, have you ever tried tying the Surgeons knot, it is a pretty easy knot, even for someone like me that doesn't have very good eyesight. All that is involved is taking about 6-8 inches of both ends and laying then together and then all you do is tie an overhand knot and then do it again.
Check this out: Surgeon's Knot

Or check out this site, it has animated knots where you can see the tying multiple times: Grog's Fishing Knots Index

Larry

FrankB2

Reaction score
Ditto Larry's comments about the Surgeon's Knot. It's pretty much standard
for attaching tippet, and almost impossible to get wrong ;) . In fact, tying
shoe laces is more complicated than a surgeon's knot :icon_mrgr !

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Yup, double surgeons for tippet to leader.

While you're at the grog animated knots site, it would be good to learn the perfection loop too (for making in-line loops for loop to loop connections)- it will come in handy.

mark

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi bekiu002,

Yes, absolutely you can tie your tippet on with two nail knots. It is the same as using two Uni knots. Two Uni Knots can be used when larger diameter mono is tied together. It does use up you leader as you change tippets.

The Surgeon's Knot is very simple and quick to tie. I don't like it because the knot does not lie straight and is bulky with heavier mono.

Like Peregrines suggested, I use a loop to loop connection to fasten the tippet on. It is the quickest way for me and very easy to change tippets. It also keeps you from cutting off any of the leader every time you tie on a tippet.

Frank

L

Liphookedau

Re: Nail Knot/Other knots.

Hi Cabot.
Even there are several knots that you can use, simple solution just try tying a few & use the one which is the easiest for you & doesn't pull apart, if you are going to keep fishing,you have to rely on your knots,& if not tied correctly,you will loose lots of fish,remember Murphy's Law.
Good Luck.

Reaction score
IMHO, the easiest good-quality leader-to-tippet connection is nesting clinch knots (aka, the basic bluegill bait hook fishing knot). Bend the leader over to form a "U" and tie an improved clinch knot on that U using the tippet. Then turn it over in your hand and repeat by tying an improved clinch in the leader onto the tippet, moisten, and snug the two knots together. It's quick, it lays down completely flat, and everyone should be able to tie the knot in their sleep. Pretty decent knot strength too.

Reaction score
Yeah, the surgeon's is definitely simple, and it has decent knot strength. I only have a couple of problems with it. First, the knot doesn't lay down completely straight -- there's just a bit of kink to it (not that that's a huge big deal, but it bugs me). Second, if I end up with a notch or tangle in my line and want to take the lazy way out (clip out the notch & reattach), I can't easily do it with the fly attached to the tippet -- not that I EVER get a tangle in my line! :icon_mrgr Those first two reasons are a bit lame, I know. Little things annoy me sometimes. The 3rd reason, though, is that I've fished with a bunch of clients and taught many students who are kinda ham-handed and can't make their fingers tie new knots, but anyone who learned to bobber fish as a kid already knows the clinch knot.

Bottom line as previously mentioned, there are several options. You can even tie a loop in each and nest them together (my least favorite option, but it works). Try a few different knots and see what is easiest for you to do while standing waist deep in a river with poor light and a breeze. Whichever knot that is is the knot for you.