RL Winston, Abel, Ross, Sage, Bauer reels and poles for sale!

lizbethdavis

Reaction score
I recently acquired an estate and included in the estate are several very nice fly fishing reels and poles. I do not fish and have no use for them so I would like to sell them. They all look like they are brand new.....to me, it looks as if they have never been used. I would like to sell them as one lot, but will consider selling them individually if necessary. I have done some research and came up with the lot being valued at around $4500.....I'm asking $2500.

Here's what I have:

set - Bauer M6 Super Light Reel and Sage XP Graphite 3E 9ft Pole

set - Bauer M3 Reel and RL Winston Boron XTR 9ft Pole

RL Winston Boron III MX 9ft Pole with case

Sage ZAxis 9ft Pole with case

2 Orvis Rocky Mountain 7/8 Reels - both have cases

Ross Reels Canyon BG-4 Reel - special edition

Abel Super 8 Reel - custom color

I have the retail pricing for each item if needed.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
That's a nice bunch of equipment.

Since you don't fish, here are some suggestions for you that might help in your sale, in addition to the information you've provided--

On the fly rods, if you could list the number of pieces (2, 3 or 4) and the line weight the rod is designed to cast, it will be helpful for potential buyers.
(Actually the number of pieces is a big deal and the line weight is essential)

There should be some writing on the blank above the cork grip that will say something like "5 weight" or "9 wt" "lines 5/6" This is NOT the same as the actual weight of the rod, which may also be listed as something like "3 5/16 oz".

The information will help folks know whether it can be carried on a plane in overhead luggage. For a 9' rod, 4 piece=yes, 2 or 3 piece = no

The line weight the rod is designed for will tell folks what conditions the rod will perform best-- big rivers, small creeks, and what types of fish-- big saltwater stuff, trout, large salmon etc.

And listing the recommended line weight of the rod will tell folks which reels you listed would make a good match with the rods.

Including pics would also be helpful (it will let folks see the condition of the reels (some minor scratches might be fine, but lots of " reel rash" and major dings may affect value). Pics of the reels may also indicate fly line, which would be an asset since fly lines can be expensive. If you take the spool off, there may be a label inside telling you what line is on the reel. Knowing if there is line and what line is on the reel would be an asset to potential buyers. If there is documentation with the reels (box and instructions/parts list) that would also be a plus.

Pics of the rods are also a plus. The condition of the cork can be an indication of how much it's been used, and pics of the ferrules (joints where the pieces go together) to show they aren't cracked or split would be helpful.

Also, if the warranty cards are available and haven't been filled out on the rods and/or reels that would also be of interest (and increase their value). Other items of value would include whether the rods come with a sock and tube

Good luck on your sale.

Last edited:

lizbethdavis

Reaction score
Thank you peregrines, for all of your helpful tips! I'm going to edit the post this evening, after I've taken and uploaded photo's into my computer.

I really do appreciate the help!! Hope you are having a wonderful day!

naturaldrift

Reaction score
I am also curious as to the weights of the rods. If you could post that information or give us a contact email that would be great.

Thanks!