wtb 4-5 weight reel for new glass rod

caseywise

Reaction score
just got a new glass rod and am looking for a reel for it.
its a cabelas CGR 7' 4 weight with the cork seat with sliding bands.
i'm thinkin something retro-ish.
100 dollar range:)
thanks guys,

casey

mikel

Reaction score
Casey...depending on how retro you want to go, I might put a Pflueger on it...

If the weight is good for balance on the rod, a Redington Drift Is a nice click/pawl for about $100. I have 2 pals who are happy with them.

-Mike

caseywise

Reaction score
i have a medalist on my other glass rod(featherlight), and love it.
im looking at something more cfo/hardy'ish.
i would like to find a early SA system one, but have had no luck tracking one down.

casey

chased

Reaction score
At the $100ish price point you cant go wrong with the Cortland Retro reel, heck even at $200 I don't think you could go wrong. It is a click pawl reel with a drag a lot like the Hardy Lightweight series. It isn't as loud as the Hardys, but still pretty loud. There is an exposed palming rim like the CFOs so you get get the best of both worlds. It is also very light and looks pretty good too. I use a Cortland Retro 1 or Hardy Flyweight on my Cabela's CGR 359 and Scott F2 6'6" 3 wt. Definitely worth looking in to...

-Chase

bradyb

Reaction score
tradenstuff dot com has a Colorado listed for $131. 30 bucks overpriced in my opinion, but that's how it goes with hard to find reels.

bradyb

Reaction score
I used to own the 1 and in my opinion it would suit the 7' CGR (which I also have) just fine.

bradyb

Reaction score
A Bill Ballan Trout Heirloom. A bit heavier than the Colorado but I think it holds even less line. I have a 4wt Delta on it and maybe 100 ft (not yds) of 20lb braid.

bradyb

Reaction score
If you hawk-eye the auction site you can sometimes score a Featherweight for about a hundred.