Random Act of Kindness - FREE 7/8wt Reel

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Thanks Geoff, the reel is much appreciated. Hope I can return the favor. In the mean time I will immediately tie some more flies for the breast cancer survivor ladies outing my FFF chapter takes fishing every year.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Geoff, the reel is much appreciated. Hope I can return the favor. In the mean time I will immediately tie some more flies for the breast cancer survivor ladies outing my FFF chapter takes fishing every year.
If you can use some additional nymphs, let me know what types and size and I'll tie up a dozen to help out. I'm not at home this week so I won't be able to tie until next week, if that works.

Larry

ia_trouter

Reaction score
If you can use some additional nymphs, let me know what types and size and I'll tie up a dozen to help out. I'm not at home this week so I won't be able to tie until next week, if that works.

Larry
That would be great. No hurry as the next event isn't until next year. The spring creek we take them to is stocked bows and small wild browns. Nymphs around #16 and wet flies in general typically put most of them on fish. Any generic beadhead nymphs work well enough most of the season here. Woolies are EZ for the club guys to tie and fill in the gap if the water isn't clear that day.

They did the 2013 event right before I joined so I just got to see slide shows and that really inspired me to learn to tie. Most caught fish and they were smiling like 8 year olds on their first bluegill.

runningfish

Reaction score
My bunny strip leech pattern isn't beautiful, but they work.
Can you use them? I tie them in 2 colors, black and brown crawfish.
Let me know.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
That would be great. No hurry as the next event isn't until next year. The spring creek we take them to is stocked bows and small wild browns. Nymphs around #16 and wet flies in general typically put most of them on fish. Any generic beadhead nymphs work well enough most of the season here. Woolies are EZ for the club guys to tie and fill in the gap if the water isn't clear that day.

They did the 2013 event right before I joined so I just got to see slide shows and that really inspired me to learn to tie. Most caught fish and they were smiling like 8 year olds on their first bluegill.
Sounds good, I will tie up some size 16 nymphs when I get back home.

Forgot to mention the good Kharma I'm sending Geoff's way for the very generous act of kindness, way to play it forward!

Larry

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Let me know.
It's hard to beat how well a bunny strip leech works, the action in the water just makes it too irrestible for the fish!

Larry

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Let me know.
Sounds like a good pattern if they are fairly small. In my limited experience on these small waters less is more. #12 Wooly generally out performs a #8, #16-18 nymphs much better than a #14 etc. That's been the case around here this year anyway.

No particular quantity of flies is needed either. The fly boxes the chapter provides do not have to be identical. They just try to fill them with flies appropriate for a first time flyfisher.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Dont worry, I'll have some more stuf fto give away in a couple days too.

I'll send you a dozen beadheads, pheasant tails, copper johns and maybe some princes.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Geoff

The reel arrived today and it looks like new. I have waited a month to try out my 8WT rod so THANK YOU so much.

The flies you donated for the cancer cause are also nice. They are absolutely what we use in our small trout streams here. They will be donated next meeting, which leaves me a few days to shamelessly try to duplicate them while I have them. :)