Looking for inexpensive vise

ronsb

Reaction score
Hi - I've been tying on a cheap 'starter' kit for a bit and looking for an upgrade. I need a vise with a pedestal base and something like a Griffin 1A or 2A - thanks for letting me know what you have/price. I'm in Illinois. Ron

mike_r

Reaction score
I would look for a used Regal. Not cheap but worth every penny and a nice upgrade. Secondly, I would look for a used HMH Spartan vice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weiliwen

Reaction score
I have two vises, a Dan-vise I got for $80 and a Norvise I got for, not sure how much, but a lot more. I use both of them, but the Dan-vise is, if you'll excuse the pun, dan-dy for the price. I see they're up to $110 now.

jonbo

Reaction score
I have a Dan-vise as well. I think I paid $100 for it several years ago. It has a rotary feature. I like it quite well, especially for the price. If one were willing to pay more, I'll bet there's better vises out there, but the Dan-vise is a pretty good pretty cheap one. Do get the rotary feature (donno if all Dan-vises have that or not.)

smoke33

Reaction score
I have a Wolf I would be willing to sell if you are interested. My son and I both gave it a try and just wasn’t our thing which is why I order all of my flies from Hairwing530.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
It really depends on how much you want to spend. I too recommend Regal, but there are copy's on the market that you can get for $40 that are very good vises. They're not a Regal in quality however.

I have one of the copy's, and also the real thing, an older "Medallion" with "standard" jaws, that was produced before they started putting the medallions on the vise. I can tie the same flies on either, except the copy will hold a few sizes larger hooks, which was why I got it and because of it's price. I couldn't afford to upgrade to another Regal with jaws that would hold larger hooks.

Both will hold the entire range of hooks that I tie, from 22 up to about 3/0, and solidly. The only negative I can say about the copy is the rotatory lock mechanism, is not as easily operated as the same feature on the Regal. It's not made with the same close tolerances as the Regal. It's also a clamp version, while my Regal was converted to a pedestal before I acquired it. I bought the Regal used from a friend over 20 years ago, so it's had a lot of lies tied on it.