Wanted, 10 or 11WT floating flyline

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I am looking for a decent quality used flyline. Probably something in the 290-320 Grain range. I can trim it back to dial it in. Using it on my 9WT St Croix Legend Ultra I throw large pike and musky streamers with so I need a non tropical line. 9WT line doesn't get it done but it;s close. Doesn't have to be new out of the box line. I'm not doing anything elegant here and I already have a sink tip line around 300GR the rod will tolerate. The entertainment funds are a little low and I'm just trying to avoid buying a cheapo new line because that is never satisfactory after a couple days of use.

Thanks

huronfly

Reaction score
Have you tried a 9wt outbound or pike/musky line? The 9wt outbound is 375grains and the pike/musky is 350 grains, quite heavy... I use these on my 10wt @ 400 and 425 grains and they work well. I'm just thinking you might want more mass grain wise than you had mentioned? You're probably right about a standard wf in 10 or 11 though...

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Have you tried a 9wt outbound or pike/musky line? The 9wt outbound is 375grains and the pike/musky is 350 grains, quite heavy... I use these on my 10wt @ 400 and 425 grains and they work well. I'm just thinking you might want more mass grain wise than you had mentioned? You're probably right about a standard wf in 10 or 11 though...
No I haven't, those sound heavy but I know over a longer head maybe not. Only lines I have tried are a Cortland 9WT Bass Musky line I just gave away on the forum. It was clearly light. Actually it's not. I'm just pretending the 9WT is a 10 1/2 WT and throwing flies that are too large. :) What I probably need is an expensive 10WT that is lighter and faster than my rod. A 9WT is about all my elbows care to cast for any length of time and that is what I own. Line weight has just as much to do with though. I have a 300GR sinktip SA streamer line that is about all the rod wants for line weight. I just don't like being married to a sinking line all the time. When the weeds almost reach the surface a floater fills the role nicely. I'd just like to be able to cast another 5-10FT than the 9WT floating line would.

When I open my Christmas presents I'll be back to too many rods again. I found a couple used deals I couldn't pass up. :) Too many hungry rods to feed lol. Some of these rods are getting used lines because it just makes sense. I rarely get it right the first time anyway and it gets expensive.

itchmesir

Reaction score
If you'd like to try my wf10i little tunny line, you can borrow it and give it a lawn cast to see what you think. It tosses big flies easily. And a little more versatile than a floater. It's discontinued, but there's NOS floating out there.

sabbatoy

Reaction score
Certainly not top quality, but I have a new in the package Cabelas wf10f line I would trade you for a musky fly or pike fly..

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Certainly not top quality, but I have a new in the package Cabelas wf10f line I would trade you for a musky fly or pike fly..
This ad is pretty old buy sure, that could work. I did pick up a line long ago but it's a bit heavy. PM me a few details on water you fish and expected fish size. I'll send you some flies.

Last edited:

karstopo

Reaction score
There's some SA sharkwave anadro floating 9 wgt. line on sale at various online shops. Cheapest I've seen is $40. The 9wgt. is 308 grains. and is designed for temperate and cold water.

Car7x

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of new and as new floating 10wt lines. Let me know if you are still looking? thanks

Craig