The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 12-22-2016, 11:30 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wanted, 10 or 11WT floating flyline

I am looking for a decent quality used flyline. Probably something in the 290-320 Grain range. I can trim it back to dial it in. Using it on my 9WT St Croix Legend Ultra I throw large pike and musky streamers with so I need a non tropical line. 9WT line doesn't get it done but it;s close. Doesn't have to be new out of the box line. I'm not doing anything elegant here and I already have a sink tip line around 300GR the rod will tolerate. The entertainment funds are a little low and I'm just trying to avoid buying a cheapo new line because that is never satisfactory after a couple days of use.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2016, 12:01 PM

huronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to allhuronfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Wanted, 10 or 11WT floating flyline

Have you tried a 9wt outbound or pike/musky line? The 9wt outbound is 375grains and the pike/musky is 350 grains, quite heavy... I use these on my 10wt @ 400 and 425 grains and they work well. I'm just thinking you might want more mass grain wise than you had mentioned? You're probably right about a standard wf in 10 or 11 though...
Old 12-22-2016, 12:23 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
Have you tried a 9wt outbound or pike/musky line? The 9wt outbound is 375grains and the pike/musky is 350 grains, quite heavy... I use these on my 10wt @ 400 and 425 grains and they work well. I'm just thinking you might want more mass grain wise than you had mentioned? You're probably right about a standard wf in 10 or 11 though...
No I haven't, those sound heavy but I know over a longer head maybe not. Only lines I have tried are a Cortland 9WT Bass Musky line I just gave away on the forum. It was clearly light. Actually it's not. I'm just pretending the 9WT is a 10 1/2 WT and throwing flies that are too large. What I probably need is an expensive 10WT that is lighter and faster than my rod. A 9WT is about all my elbows care to cast for any length of time and that is what I own. Line weight has just as much to do with though. I have a 300GR sinktip SA streamer line that is about all the rod wants for line weight. I just don't like being married to a sinking line all the time. When the weeds almost reach the surface a floater fills the role nicely. I'd just like to be able to cast another 5-10FT than the 9WT floating line would.

When I open my Christmas presents I'll be back to too many rods again. I found a couple used deals I couldn't pass up. Too many hungry rods to feed lol. Some of these rods are getting used lines because it just makes sense. I rarely get it right the first time anyway and it gets expensive.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:45 PM

itchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond reputeitchmesir has a reputation beyond repute

If you'd like to try my wf10i little tunny line, you can borrow it and give it a lawn cast to see what you think. It tosses big flies easily. And a little more versatile than a floater. It's discontinued, but there's NOS floating out there.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 PM

brokeoff will become famous soon enoughbrokeoff will become famous soon enough

I have an 11 wt Wulff TT cold.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 PM

sabbatoy is on a distinguished road

Certainly not top quality, but I have a new in the package Cabelas wf10f line I would trade you for a musky fly or pike fly..
Old 09-25-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbatoy View Post
Certainly not top quality, but I have a new in the package Cabelas wf10f line I would trade you for a musky fly or pike fly..
This ad is pretty old buy sure, that could work. I did pick up a line long ago but it's a bit heavy. PM me a few details on water you fish and expected fish size. I'll send you some flies.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 09-25-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:36 AM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future

There's some SA sharkwave anadro floating 9 wgt. line on sale at various online shops. Cheapest I've seen is $40. The 9wgt. is 308 grains. and is designed for temperate and cold water.