Dacron Q

ant

Reaction score
I have a reel that I'm thinking about switching lines on, going from a 3 to a 7 (lets say that there is a lot of room on the reel right now.) I don't have a lot of backing on the reel right now, but if I added the 7 I would add extra backing.

How bad of an idea would it be to just tie the present backing to the extra backing? I doubt that I will likely get into the backing, but I don't what to find myself in a situation where I get into a fish he runs and all of a sudden I'm sans fish, line, and 50 yards of backing.....

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
How bad of an idea would it be to just tie the present backing to the extra backing? I doubt that I will likely get into the backing, but I don't what to find myself in a situation where I get into a fish he runs and all of a sudden I'm sans fish, line, and 50 yards of backing.....
If you feel that you will not get to the backing to backing connection, you should not have any issues.

MP

ant

Reaction score
Thanks MP. Maybe to be on the safe side, I'll try to use a blood knot(never tied one before.) I think that I've heard that they're all but 100% strength.

O

okuma

I've done it frequently Ant. Using a surgeon knot. Never had it part yet:)

ant

Reaction score
I've done it frequently Ant. Using a surgeon knot. Never had it part yet:)
I was wondering where you've been hiding..... :D

I'm a big fan of the surgeon knot. It's easier than tying your shoes.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I use two types of knots when joining backing.

Blood Knot - Joining like diameters of backing. Ex. 20 lb test Dacron with 20 lb test Dacron

Double Nail Knot - Joining two different diameters of backing. Ex. 30 lb test Dacron with 55 pound test super braid.

O

okuma

I'm not hiding Ant. Since the weather is warming some & WV has stocked its creeks with trout.......guess where I am on my days off......:D

ant

Reaction score
I'm not hiding Ant. Since the weather is warming some & WV has stocked its creeks with trout.......guess where I am on my days off......:D
The Golf Course? ;)

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Double Nail Knot - Joining two different diameters of backing. Ex. 30 lb test Dacron with 55 pound test super braid.
Is that just two Nail Knots tied in succession?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Ant,

I have used the Uni to UNi knot with success. The Double or Tripple Surgeon knot will make a bigger knot to wrap over. An in-line knot like the Blood, Nail or Uni lays on the reel better. If you have not tied the Blood knot before you will want to practice a bit before you use it. The Blood is a great knot but it needs to be tied/tighten correctly.

Frank

ant

Reaction score
Thanks Frank. I just checked out a video on how to tie the Uni knot, seems pretty fool-proof(which is essential to my knot tying abilities :) )

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

I tried the Uni to Uni and it worked like a charm. Only had to try twice too...:)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Ant,

The Uni is a great knot and I use it a lot to tie on Streamers. You can cinch it up or leave an open loop. A heavy fish will close the loop. The Uni knot is actually the Duncan Loop originated my Norman Duncan. He stops by here once and a while.

Frank

ant

Reaction score
Hi Ant,

The Uni is a great knot and I use it a lot to tie on Streamers. You can cinch it up or leave an open loop. A heavy fish will close the loop. The Uni knot is actually the Duncan Loop originated my Norman Duncan. He stops by here once and a while.

Frank
I had read in a few posts that some use a knot with a loop to attach their fly so that it drifts more freely, but couldn't for the life of me remember the knot or the thread.

milt spawn

Reaction score
Check the polls section on this forum, I remember a poll thread that covered this topic. Try the non-slip mono loop. milt.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Ant,

Milt is correct. If you want to use a small loop to tie on a fly use the non-slip mono loop. The knot won't close with a heavy fish. With the Duncan Loop you can adjust the loop to any size loop you want but it is a slip knot.

Go here for how to tie the non-slip mono loop.

Frank