Sylk Fly Lines

LCannady

Reaction score
First off, I am brand new to this site and pretty new at fly fishing. The forum instructions said to say Hi, so Hi to everyone...and thanks for everything that I've already learned from a bunch of you guys.

I got here by trying to decide on a few fly lines for the few rods that I just got or hope to have soon. I've been doing a lot of reading on fly fishing in general, and I've been practicing my casts, both indoors, in front of a book, and out on a lawn. I still need to go fishing sometime, too!

I found this site while searching for info on the Cortland 444 Classic Sylk line. I also just searched this site, but the few posts I found were pretty old. I also just sent the following message to "someone," but I thought I may as well see if anyone here can also post an update, so that everyone can be current on this subject (I was thinking that is partly what this forum is about):

I am relatively new at the sport of fly fishing, and I’ve been reading lots of articles about it, trying to at least improve my understanding of various topics, including the selection of rods, reels, lines, leaders, knots, etc. I must say there is a lot to learn (…and then I have to also learn to fish!:eek:). I ran across your review of the Sylk fly line, which gave some very good first impressions. Because I also read some later comments from a few folks who gave up on the line, I was wondering if you could offer me your final conclusions on this subject.

I am just now starting to acquire the needed equipment for a variety of fishing, and one thing I hope to do is to find my dad’s old bamboo fly rod, which would be at least 50-60 years old (It may have been old when he got it from my grandfather). I already have his old Garcia fiberglass rod. I haven’t found a reel to match up with them, but, as I said, I’m just starting to look for stuff. As I do so, having your current comments about the Sylk line will certainly help me along the way. Thanks in advance.

Anyway, I also hope that I'm not being too long-winded here. Thanks for anything you can add.

Lynn

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
First off, I am brand new to this site and pretty new at fly fishing. The forum instructions said to say Hi, so Hi to everyone...and thanks for everything that I've already learned from a bunch of you guys.

I got here by trying to decide on a few fly lines for the few rods that I just got or hope to have soon. I've been doing a lot of reading on fly fishing in general, and I've been practicing my casts, both indoors, in front of a book, and out on a lawn. I still need to go fishing sometime, too!

I found this site while searching for info on the Cortland 444 Classic Sylk line. I also just searched this site, but the few posts I found were pretty old. I also just sent the following message to "someone," but I thought I may as well see if anyone here can also post an update, so that everyone can be current on this subject (I was thinking that is partly what this forum is about):

I am relatively new at the sport of fly fishing, and I’ve been reading lots of articles about it, trying to at least improve my understanding of various topics, including the selection of rods, reels, lines, leaders, knots, etc. I must say there is a lot to learn (…and then I have to also learn to fish!:eek:). I ran across your review of the Sylk fly line, which gave some very good first impressions. Because I also read some later comments from a few folks who gave up on the line, I was wondering if you could offer me your final conclusions on this subject.

I am just now starting to acquire the needed equipment for a variety of fishing, and one thing I hope to do is to find my dad’s old bamboo fly rod, which would be at least 50-60 years old (It may have been old when he got it from my grandfather). I already have his old Garcia fiberglass rod. I haven’t found a reel to match up with them, but, as I said, I’m just starting to look for stuff. As I do so, having your current comments about the Sylk line will certainly help me along the way. Thanks in advance.

Anyway, I also hope that I'm not being too long-winded here. Thanks for anything you can add.

Lynn
Lynn,
Cortland still makes the 444 Sylk like for people who are still using old school bamboo and fiberglass rods. The dual taper works well for these style of rods. The finish is slick out of the box, but it may need a little bit more cleaning to keep it slick compared to the other finishes on modern lines.

As for a reel, get yourself a Pflueger Medalist to match.

MP

LCannady

Reaction score
Thanks, Frank and MP. I had already read through all of that thread, which was old, and that's partly why I had hoped to resurrect the discussion...just to see if there were any more current impressions of the Sylk lines.

I also attempted to contact the original author/reviewer, Doug Macnair, but each of the three e-mail addresses that I found for him are no longer valid. The addresses I tried were airbaby6@ev1.net, airbaby6@bigfoot.com and airbaby6@sbcglobal.net, each of which I found on various Web sites, like this one, and even his own Web site does not list a validd address. Does anyone happen to know him well enough to have his current address?

Thanks again for your help.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi LCannady,

I don't think you are going to get anymore information. As far as I know it is the same Slyk line that it always has been. So even though you might get some currant information it won't be any different than what you already know. You read Doug's comments and I don't think he will change them. I would be more interested in the comments from people who don't like the line. What it is going to come down to is do you like it. The only way to tell that is to cast it.

I just bought Cortland's new Crystal PE line and I can tell you that the finish is poor. Little tits sticking out along the line that I could feel with my fingers. Looking at it with a powerful magnifier I can see blemishes in the finish. This is a different line that what you are looking at but it is a brand new line. It is a new process and I don't think they have it right. I will be reporting on this line sometime in the future.

Frank

LCannady

Reaction score
Thanks, Frank,
It's really cool that I'm able to get this far with this research, thanks to you and this forum. By the way, do you have any contact info for Doug? Thanks!
Lynn