Line recommendations for small rods?

fredy

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm going to replace the lines on a couple of my set ups. One is an Orvis 6'6" 2wt. and the other is a Sage 6'9" 4wt. I have always used DT lines, cutting them in 1/2 and storing the other half for future replacement. I am curious on using a WF line like a Wulff? Will the taper make that much more of a difference? I only use these rods on small streams and creeks.

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Fredy

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi fredy,

I would stay the course with the DT lines. I have a 6'6" 3wt flea myself and DT is perfect on it. I use them on everything regardless of action. Years ago DT was about the only game in town besides level lines and you had to order a 'Rocket Taper' now known as WF lines. Sounds like you have a system,

Ard

mikel

Reaction score
hey Fredy...if that's the unsanded superfine 2wt, I have the same stick. I put a WF on it for a while and changed back to the DT. I like 2 lines for the price of one and saw little or no difference in performance of the lines. Cool rod for bluegill and little creeks.

-Mike

FlyBum

Reaction score
My suggestion if you would like to try a WF and keep the price rather painless so that if you don't like it you won't be out nearly as much is to conact Allen & Co Fly Fishing via Private Message and purchase one from Justin. I'm not sure what he's charging forum members for fly lies, but its cheap and I have them on all my reels now and I'll never buy a premium priceds line again, because the slight difference fo the big brand names in quality IMO is not worth the additional $50-$70.

You ask Justin he's the owner of Allen & Co if he has DT's.

fredy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Ard,
I have been fishin's them with DT for close to 20yrs now. A couple of my buddies thought I was nutz cutting the fly line in 1/2. My thought was why have all that line on the reel that I am never going to cast any way :doh: This way I always have a new line waiting for next season.

mikel,
That's it, the original "1 ounce" This rod is sooo much fun. I was always curious waht a WF line would do on this rod(s) sometimes its a bit taxing trying to cast a weighted nymph and was not sure if a WF would help. I was curious about the Wulff Triangle since it roll cast so well.

FlyBum,
I know, I am kinda kicking my self in the azz since I did not think of that when I ordered the XL 5/6 reel for my custum Z-Axis.

Fredy

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one 'why not to cut the line story'. In 1980 I was waiting for a spinner to come off the trees and brush and decided to smoke a cigar. Long before I was able to savor the moment I burned the front 8' or so off my line when the stogie rolled down hill on that big flat rock I was resting upon. I was able to flip the line and fished the evening spinner fall....................

Ard

fredy

Reaction score
I have one 'why not to cut the line story'. In 1980 I was waiting for a spinner to come off the trees and brush and decided to smoke a cigar. Long before I was able to savor the moment I burned the front 8' or so off my line when the stogie rolled down hill on that big flat rock I was resting upon. I was able to flip the line and fished the evening spinner fall....................

Ard
:eek::D

Fredy

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi fredy,

With a 2wt you are doing finesse fishing and not long distance. You want your performance to be in the first 30' and not much more than 40'. At these distances the front 30' of a Dt or WF is nearly identical. You can look at the RIO Trout Lt and see that the wt and taper of the DT and WF are nearly the same. The first 30' of both lines weigh in at 80 grains. It is after the first 40' that you will see the advantage of the WF in distance. Buying a DT and making it into two lines makes sense to me. I wouldn't consider a WF until you get up to a 5WT or maybe a 4WT.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that the diagram is for a 5wt not a 2wt. I posted the diagram so you can see that the front tapers of the DT and WF lines are the same. You can see the actual measurements at RIO's Site. It is in table form and you have to scan down to see it.

Frank

RIO Trout LT Fly Line

Last edited:

fredy

Reaction score
Frank,
Is it safe to assume that the DT would roll cast better than the WF based on the tapers from rio?

Fredy

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
+1 for a dt....I cut my lines too enough to fish near;)(posted a tip on how to connect half an old line with half a new one on the little tricks to share thread;))
-1.....I never use such short rods:D:D

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Fredy,

If you roll cast with less that 40' out the end of the rod they should roll cast pretty much the same. Actually the head length on the Trout LT-WF is 40'.5" long and up to that distance they should preform about the same. It is beyond this distance that the DT will roll cast better. Not anything you would probably do with a 2WT. You would see absolutely no difference casting 30', maybe 35' for sure.

Frank

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Back in the day, the 444 was the standard to what all lines were compared to. Today there are lines that will stay slicker and last longer.

Years ago, I used the 444 DT on a creek rod. It lasted me about 20 fishing days, then I flipped it around and fished it for 10 more fishing days. Even with regular cleaning, the line dried out and cracked. My friends who fished 444 old school lines had cracking issues.

If you want a good general purpose line, take a look at the Scientific Anglers Trout. It is available in WF and DT models. I have about 40 days on my DT3F and have yet to flip it. I may flip it before I go out to say that I just did so. The line rolls nicely. It casts as nicely as it did on day one.

MP

fredy

Reaction score
So I have been searching a bit for a DT-2. I am looking for a line with high visibility. Most DT lines come in "camo like" colors that are dark which makes it hard to see at dusk or darker. I did find the 444 on eBay which is peach in color for $40. The other choice is the SA Mastery GPX in DT-2 which comes in a Willow color (off white??) My concern is that the line is designed for fast action rods and 1/2 weight heavier, I think I would consider my Orvis a medium action rod??

Any other lines out there that migt fir the bill?

Thanks again,
Fredy

fredy

Reaction score
You could try a Wulff Triangle Taper. It is available in orange down to a 2 weight. I have not tried it out, but there is a strong following to it.QUOTE]

Mosca,
I have considered that actually. I am currently replacing all my lines with the Wulff TT. I have it going on my 8'6" 4wt, 9' 5wt, 9' 6wt. I have a 9'6" 7wt that I want to set up with a Bass taper and Salmon/Steelie taper just have not chosen one yet.

I have considered it for my smaller rods (Orvis 6'6" 2wt & Sage 6'9" 4wt) for it's ability to roll cast really nicely. I can get them for $52 each from Dan Trela, Trela Designs. Dan is currently building my 590-2 Z-Axis and discounts his lines 20% with a rod purchase.

Thanks,
Fredy

fredy

Reaction score
Frank,
I just checked and it does not have any rating. I also called Dan Trela from Trela Designs and asked about line recommendations. He builds custum Sage's, Winston, St.Croix, and Loomis. He stated that the smaller rods (under 7'6") he had built (lot of Loomis & Sage) loaded and casted really well with the Wulff Lines. He also recommended the Sage DT lines (made by Rio) since their DT is more like a WF since the line tapers back down towards the center of the line. Only issue was the color for me on the Sage line, it is to dark for me.

I think I am going to go with a Wulff and give it a shot. I know I wont have the 2 lines out one benifit I would normally get from a DT.

Thanks for the opinion on the GPX. I was concerned about the heavier rating on the line.

Thanks,
Fredy

fredy

Reaction score
So I took my 6'9" 4wt Sage for some test casting yesterday. I forgot I had an old spool of Wulff TT in a 4wt laying around...:rolleyes:
I casted a Cortland Precision Trout wf4, SA dt4, and the Wulff 4tt

Wulff hands down!!! It roll casted sooooo good and I was false casting way in to the running line :D not that I needed to but it was good to know how easy it was to do with that little rod. I compared all the lines tapers side x side and the Wulff was way more progressive than the Cortland and SA. I was a little ticked since I had not even considered doing this way back :mad:

So I was sold on the Wulff. I just ordered 2wt, 2@ 4wt, 5wt, and 6wt to replace my old lines with.

Again thanks for all the replies,
Fredy