Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Here

Question New Here

I found a fly fishing rod and reel in the trash at a house i was doing some electrical work on and the line looked a little worn. I want to replace it. What all do I need to have to replace the line?

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Here

Welcome to the forum.

Each rod has a line weight designation on the it. Take your outfit to your local fly shop or tackle dealer and have it set you up with an appropriate line based off of that line weight designation for you. Any good shop will spool it up, tie on a butt section (if needed), and recommend your leader selection for you.

MP

Unless it's worn off, most rods will have a line weight designation, either a numeral (6 weight line, 6wt, 5/6) or in the case of older rods three letters (HDH)
    You'll need to replace the worn line with the proper "weight".

Here's a line conversion chart for older rods
    Fly line conversion to old-style letter

It might help if you told us more about the rod and reel or posted some pictures
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Bronco: Welcome to the forum! Like the others have said, be sure to get the correct line weight for that rod. If you need some help with learning to cast a fly rod, don't hesitate to ask for help. Also there are some nice casting instructional videos under the "Video Library" on the horizontal menu bar, click on that and then on the right side of the page that pops up under the "Video Directory Index" click on "instruction" and it will display all the instructional videos.

Larry
    Larry