Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default line advice needed

i am looking at both scientific angler and cortland fly lines to put on an avid mf 6wt. i guess it would be for general purposes, maybe smallmouth and trout. i would like a wf line but unsure as to color and manufacturer. can anyone give me ideas, either good or what to possibly avoid? i will thank you in advance.........

Default Re: line advice needed

For my money the best general purpose line is the Sci Anglers GPX.Ive caught more SMB and other fish on that line than any other.It will handle bass bugs as well as trout flies and I use it in the salt as well.Personally I have fished some Cortland lines and ive never been satisified with any of them.The Wulff TT is also a good line.

A GPX is a good bet, or you could go with a SA Headstart and have a little more powerful turnover and save a little money as well. It makes a bit better bass line and the GPX a better trout line.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

4. Default Re: line advice needed

i thought i read where the gpx is for faster actions and i am a bit afraid of overlining this mod.-fast rod. i will look into the headstart.

cliff, the write up says this is a beginner line. as i progress, will i need to change this line, or will it suffice? i see where it is good with hoppers, nymphs and streamers. since i will fish primarily for warm water species, this seems to be what i may be looking for. just fear that i will have to upgrade in the coming year.

Blog Entries

A head heavy line like the Mastery GPX is not a bad idea for a medium fast action rod especially if you are going to use a wide range of flies. A GPX will allow you to load up your line more efficiently if you decide to start casting wind resistant flies. It will also help you flip over indicators if you decide to nymph fish.

My girlfriend has been fly fishing for 5 months now. Her first outfit is a Sage Launch with a Lamson Konic loaded with a Rio Grand line (very similar to the GPX). I purposely sold her that line so she could feel her rod load more and flip indicators. She's having a ball with her setup.

You won't go wrong with a Mastery GPX.

MP

Rapman,I fish the GPX on all my 6wt's,from fast graphite to my slow glass rods.It works well on all of them.Its the best all around line ive found.

7. Default Re: line advice needed

i appreciate the help, gents. will purchase today and all i need is for this blankety-blank ice to go away. would love to see open water again

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
    I purposely sold her that line so she could feel her rod load more and flip indicators. She's having a ball with her setup.

You won't go wrong with a Mastery GPX.

MP
    You sold it to her? And she is still your girlfriend?

Just kidding. I'm sure she got a good deal on it.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Blog Entries

Mojo,
    She wasn't my girlfriend at the time. But I made up for that with a Fishpond Firefly vest and a Brodin net for Christmas.

MP

Good for you. It's nice to have the girlfriend/spouse into fly fishing. It just cost's a hell of a lot more.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast