Furrled Leaders. For trout?

crittergetter

Reaction score
Ok.. Now that I am learning to make my own leaders. Thanks to Craigs UTube video. I have some technical questions/opinions on them. I have my own and a friends but I am curious what everybody thinks.

1) Won't the braiding make the leader slower to hook set because of the nature of a braid. It will stretch?

2) Because of the size in diameter won't it have problems on top water just by the nature water displacment?

3) When stripping with it is there a chance using 12 lb test would work better again because of the nature of the braid and how it trasmits a strike

4) Nymphing is very subtle? Will the braid remove the subtle takes normal tippet does

5) Why not make leaders with tippet and tying on 2 sizes or 3 sizes of tippet to your fly line. You know the old fashion way of building up your leaders.

Thanks everybody for input.

PS.. Using the latex glove has helped me a bunch for doing the twists. Again thanks to Craig for the input

Joni

Reaction score
Ok.. Now that I am learning to make my own leaders. Thanks to Craigs UTube video. I have some technical questions/opinions on them. I have my own and a friends but I am curious what everybody thinks.

1) Won't the braiding make the leader slower to hook set because of the nature of a braid. It will stretch?

2) Because of the size in diameter won't it have problems on top water just by the nature water displacment?

3) When stripping with it is there a chance using 12 lb test would work better again because of the nature of the braid and how it trasmits a strike

4) Nymphing is very subtle? Will the braid remove the subtle takes normal tippet does

5) Why not make leaders with tippet and tying on 2 sizes or 3 sizes of tippet to your fly line. You know the old fashion way of building up your leaders.

Thanks everybody for input.

PS.. Using the latex glove has helped me a bunch for doing the twists. Again thanks to Craig for the input

lets take this one at a time.

1. This is FURLED which is rolled and fold...NOT BRAIDED. There is a big difference
read this:

gandycreekleaders - WHAT ARE FURLED LEADERS?

2. As far as Craigs, read this:

Quigley's Furled Leaders

There to is a difference. For Trout I would go with a heavily tapered THREAD leader.
there is no give to thread.
You will feel the slightest of hits.

4. Again, these are not braided. The water reacts differently with then.

5. You bet...taper your tippet, but with a good Furled leader, you really don't need to.
A 5' leader with 5' of straight mono/fluoro/tippet..good to go. Or 5 1/2' leader 4', or 6' leader 3'...so on. You can do anything you want and they just roll over beautifully.

Tracker12

Reaction score
Joni knows here stuff and makes a nice furrled leader. I have used them and they work. This past weekend I fished a 5' with 2' tippet while nymphing and the sensitivity was great.

Last edited:

mojo

Reaction score
Joni knows here stuff and makes a nice furrled leader. I have used them and they work. This past weekend I fished a 5" with 2" tippet while nymphing and the sensitivity was great.
5 inch leader and 2 inch tippet. Now that's small!!!!!!!!!;);););)

Tracker12

Reaction score
Just might try that 5" leader and show pics of success. Bet I can catch a bluegill on one. Your right it was a little funny

crittergetter

Reaction score
I haven't really had a chance to try Joni's for nymphing. I will soon.

Now in using the 5" leaders maybe we can start our own style of fishing. Vladi got famus with his Czech nymphing technique.. Tracker12 are you ready for the your Tracker12ech nymphing. Maybe you can sell a few books on it. :frogdance

Maybe it is a technique to nymph for minos or gold fish. that 5" leader and 2" tippet would work well in a small aquarium. Nyymphing for Goldfish Tracker style.

Last edited:

Tracker12

Reaction score
Sounds like an excellent retirement project!! I'll start the outline and start looking for a photographer for the project.