Newbie who needs fly line recs

atanger

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm from San Francisco and just purchased an Allen reel(heard many positive reviews and great value) to mate with my Loomis 8'6" 5wt IMX. This is my first go @ flyfishing I'm really fortunate to live very close to the Golden Gate Park Casting Pools. Before I get there, I need suggestions about what to spool my reel with? Plan on using it for bass (<3lbs), crappie, bluegill and trout. I have absolutely no clue about what I need nor do I know much about the action of the Loomis IMX (medium-fast to fast, not sure).

caseywise

Reaction score
allen line. i have 75 dollar lines that are not on par with what justin is putting out. defininetly the best bang for your buck, and then some, out there.

casey

atanger

Reaction score
Forgot to put down that Justin is "out of stock" on the 5wt lines. Should I put a 6wt line on my rod, I'm not really sure how the dynamics of going up a line weight on a rod.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I'm not knocking the Allen lines, but, as an option, you may want to consider what the guys and girls at Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters in San Francisco have to offer. You will end up paying more for a line, but you will get a line properly matched to your rig. Also the line will be properly spooled onto the reel. Got backing? Leland can provide that for you, too.

Dennis

mtbrider405

Reaction score
I have set my dad up with a similar rod and he is new to the sport as well. Its a 5 wt Ross Essence.

I got him an Allen reel and 6 wt line since Justin was out of 5 wt. It casts great. Possibly better for a beginner because it will load the rod quicker.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy 6wt line again and I don't think you will regret it! It is AWESOME line for the money and being 6 wt might help you a little bit. If you are casting <40 ft (which you probably will be to get the technique down) then I wouldn't worry about it.

You will enjoy it.

-Jason

russellb

Reaction score
I will offer a differing opinion and say that the IMX rods I have fished were more towards the fast side versus the moderate. From my time working in a fly shop, teaching casting and guiding I would recommend a SA Textured GPX in WF5. As a new caster I really thing that the GPX line will provide good feedback of the rod loading without overloading the rod. It will also serve you well in shooting line and casting the bulkier warmwater flies. Yes, this line is more costly than some but I believe its performance justifies the price. Certainly if you have a chance try a couple lines to feel the difference or have a shop owner cast the lines on the rod and provide an opinion. But overall I think as you learn the cast the you will like the line as well as when you become more experienced.

imxer

Reaction score
You are starting out in better shape than most. The IMX rod is a good all around choice for the fishing you plan, especially in 8.5' 5wt. Have to agree with Mt405 about the Allen line in 6 weight for your rod, for the same reasons
he states.
If Justin hasn't sent the reel (also a a good choice) yet, ask him to add backing and the 6 wt line.
The casting club a real asset for you. Am sure you will meet members who are very familiar with the IMX, and willing to help you.
Good luck to you. :)
Imxer

atanger

Reaction score
You are starting out in better shape than most. The IMX rod is a good all around choice for the fishing you plan, especially in 8.5' 5wt. Have to agree with Mt405 about the Allen line in 6 weight for your rod, for the same reasons
he states.
If Justin hasn't sent the reel (also a a good choice) yet, ask him to add backing and the 6 wt line.
The casting club a real asset for you. Am sure you will meet members who are very familiar with the IMX, and willing to help you.
Good luck to you. :)
Imxer
I'm a real fan of Loomis rods as it's my primary brand that I use for conventional fishing. Heard many good things about the "older" IMX fly rods and decided to take the plunge. I did purchase the 6wt from Justin and he's out of backing and told me to use braid which i have. Based on your handle, you must have some experience w/ Loomis IMX rods, can you tell me if the rod is fast or medium action rod? I've lived my entire life less a 1/2 mile away from the casting pools, and i'm really looking forward to getting my stroke down.

MoscaPescador: Yes, I'll be heading over to Leland's to get there opinions about equipment.

russellb: I have no experience with IMX fly rods, but I do have a few bass rods made from IMX and they are fast action rods.

Thank you all for your suggestions/advice. Know I need to get some warm water flies!

Arnold

gtom61

Reaction score
Hi Arnold,

Just a quick hi and wanted to mention not only do I have several of Justin's reels, WFF lines, and his NanoTi rods and am pleased with everything, but wanted to also mention i'm in SF daily and I'm also a member of the GGACC at Golden Gate Park. The ponds are probably some of the best in the US, which you probably already found out. They just finished hosting the 2011 World Spey Casting Spey-O-Rama tournament. If you haven't already, think about joining the club. Among their many events which are free, they also have free casting lessons given by some pretty good instructors, many FFF certified, the first Saturday of each month.

Hope to see you at the "ponds"

Gerry

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Hi Arnold,

Other options to check out locally since you are in SF would be Orvis (which folks seem to either like or dislike) which is right around the block from Leyland. Orvis is on Sutter St, Leyland is on Bush St, both between Grant and Kearny Sts. I've found the folks very helpful at both places.

The other consideration is right down Hwy 101 in San Carlos, the California Fly Shop. It's fairly large with a nice selection of things and the staff there were also very helpful. Victor and Steve I think are the guys I visit there. It's larger in size than either Orvis or Leyland.

Good luck.

Gerry

304rodco

Reaction score
Hook and Hackle Hi Floater is a great line for about $30. It is pretty much all I fish now.

atanger

Reaction score
Hi Arnold,

Just a quick hi and wanted to mention not only do I have several of Justin's reels, WFF lines, and his NanoTi rods and am pleased with everything, but wanted to also mention i'm in SF daily and I'm also a member of the GGACC at Golden Gate Park. The ponds are probably some of the best in the US, which you probably already found out. They just finished hosting the 2011 World Spey Casting Spey-O-Rama tournament. If you haven't already, think about joining the club. Among their many events which are free, they also have free casting lessons given by some pretty good instructors, many FFF certified, the first Saturday of each month.

Hope to see you at the "ponds"

Gerry

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Hi Arnold,

Other options to check out locally since you are in SF would be Orvis (which folks seem to either like or dislike) which is right around the block from Leyland. Orvis is on Sutter St, Leyland is on Bush St, both between Grant and Kearny Sts. I've found the folks very helpful at both places.

The other consideration is right down Hwy 101 in San Carlos, the California Fly Shop. It's fairly large with a nice selection of things and the staff there were also very helpful. Victor and Steve I think are the guys I visit there. It's larger in size than either Orvis or Leyland.

Good luck.

Gerry
Gerry, I'll be a member very shortly. Ironically I met some members over by chrissy field last week, all were using speys, and they told i missed an epic event, the spey tourny. I might head down to the peninsula to check out the fly shop. I recall there was once a small fly shop on clement around 26-27th, do you know if that shop is still around?

gtom61

Reaction score
That's great, Arnold. I'm sure i'll see you out there. I try and go Friday afternoons. Small world, I know my cousin and his buddies from the GGACC go to Crissy Field often to Spey on Friday's i think...do Bert, Al, or Sigi sound familiar? Maybe it was one of them.

I know the shop, but I don't think it's there any longer. Right side of Clement heading out to ocean beach, right?

Good luck and keep in touch.

Gerry

atanger

Reaction score
I could not recall there names, but all were using "skagit" tfo rods and one gentleman in particular gave me some great advice, he told me he writes for saltwater fly magazine of some sort.

Having lived my entire life in the same neighborhood, yes, the world is pretty small.

Arnold