Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Leader: Straight or Tapered (warm water fish)

I've been searching up&down the site to get ideas about what leader to use for bass and pan fish and there have been strong opinions that bass are non discriminate and are not line shy, if that is the case can I use a mono or floro as a leader material.
    The term "straight" I'm assuming is the line that I have and use for conventional fishing, or should I purchase fly specific material?

Default Re: Leader: Straight or Tapered (warm water fish)

A straight leader refers to a length of mono that just the same as you would use on a spin rod.
    A tapered leader is one that's thick on the line end and narrows down toward a point at the fly end. They can be either extruded that way, or tied (from a formula) out of progressively thinner pieces.
    The advantage of the tapered leader is that the transfer of power during the cast from the line to the fly is smooth and allows for a precise presentation of the fly.
    The use of a tapered leader is almost always preferred

The straight mono leader works well with a heavy air resistant bass bug and only then if you use a short length of about 6 feet With the big bass bug, the fly will turn the leader over and a "splat" presentation. is usually not a problem
    Bass are not leader shy, so a thicker mono leader works fine (ya don't need flouro).
    It's the transfer of power in the cast that requires the fly specific taped leader
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 05-12-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Rip Tide, help me with that 6 inches of mono. Are you suggesting that between the fly line and the fly there is only 6 inches of mono when using a big bug?
    Gary

Sorry, six feet
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

LOL, WHEW! You scared me!
    Gary

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Insert your own joke here.

7. Default Re: Leader: Straight or Tapered (warm water fish)

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    A straight leader refers to a length of mono that just the same as you would use on a spin rod.
    A tapered leader is one that's thick on the line end and narrows down toward a point at the fly end. They can be either extruded that way, or tied (from a formula) out of progressively thinner pieces.
    The advantage of the tapered leader is that the transfer of power during the cast from the line to the fly is smooth and allows for a precise presentation of the fly.
    The use of a tapered leader is almost always preferred

The straight mono leader works well with a heavy air resistant bass bug and only then if you use a short length of about 6 feet With the big bass bug, the fly will turn the leader over and a "splat" presentation. is usually not a problem
    Bass are not leader shy, so a thicker mono leader works fine (ya don't need flouro).
    It's the transfer of power in the cast that requires the fly specific taped leader
    Thank you for the explanation especially regarding the benefits of a tapered leader. If one chooses to use mono, is a tippet necessary?

If you're going to be using a straight mono leader, adding a separate tippet may hurt your cast rather than help.

You could always build a simple 3 part tapered leader (butt/mid/tippet)
    Try four feet of 30# test mono blood knotted to two feet of 20-25# test mono, knotted to two feet of 10-15# mono
    Not a good trout leader but for warm water, as good as you'll ever need

9. Default Re: Leader: Straight or Tapered (warm water fish)

If you're going to be using a straight mono leader, adding a separate tippet may hurt your cast rather than help.

Try four feet of 30# test mono blood knotted to two feet of 20-25# test mono, knotted to two feet of 10-15# mono
    I'm going to build a couple of these especially since I already have all the lines.

thank you!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast