Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tippet vs Mono

Default Tippet vs Mono

What's the difference?
    I have a few spools of tippet but never used them as I always have spools of 2,3,4lb around anyway and have been using that.

Is there any difference?
    "I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tippet vs Mono

Good question,

I have always believed that the products (Mono-filament) are the same. Tippet is just a small easy to carry spool containing sizes down to 8X. I have never seen 1000' spools of 6, 7, & 8X mono.

I will stand by to see who knows the real skinny on this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

the way I understand it, tippet has a more consistent diameter (and breaking strength) than spooled mono
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

back when mono was soft squishy and stretchy, tippets weren't.
    Now, I'm totally clueless, but I did go stream fishing just an hour ago and slayed creek chubs in the 6-9" category.

5. Default Re: Tippet vs Mono

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    the way I understand it, tippet has a more consistent diameter (and breaking strength) than spooled mono
    This is my understanding too. It has not stopped me from going with 100' (yd?)spools of 2,and 5lb Trilene Flouro when it comes to refill time.
    And 8lb I don't even bother at all with tippet spools

Third (on what Rip said). along with consistency, I've been told (by a shop guy who wanted to sell me some, I'm sure....) that tippet material is stronger for the given diameter. (a piece of mono and tippet in the same diameters, the mono will have a lower break strength. ) Don't know of the truth to this....

Being the cheap Son Of Barbara that I am, I use mono attached to a furled leader. No expensive tippet, nor expensive leaders for me..... (and preemptively: furled are not expensive when you build them yourself)

7. Default Re: Tippet vs Mono

Quote Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
    Being the cheap Son Of Barbara that I am, I use mono attached to a furled leader. No expensive tippet, nor expensive leaders for me..... (and preemptively: furled are not expensive when you build them yourself)
    X2!
    I've furled 25 leaders from a single $1.57 spool of Coats & Clark mono invisible thread and still have some left on the spool. Make me happy long time.

Yeah I reckon I'll keep takin' my chances with the mono.

That furled leader thing is sweet too. I never heard of it till today but saw that vid and tried one out. No perfect but I won't be buying commercial leaders when mine run out!

I love this place!
    "I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg

I bought a spool of seaguar fluoro to use as 5x tippet. I use 6x and 5x more than any other where I fish. Any suggestions for 6x? I have some regular fluoro tippit in 6x but was wondering if anyone uses something else.
    Okiemountaineer

Hi Everyone,

I think the question has been answered but I will add my thoughts.

I think if you are going to use regular mono as tippet material you need to buy the higher quality. I don't think a $3.50 Wal Mart special 500' spool of four pound mono is going to do the job. The break strength of the line will be higher because it will have a larger diameter. If you buy cheap mono and it has a higher breaking strength than tippet material at the same diameter, usually the cheap mono is larger in diameter than stated on the package. The cheap mono will usually be stiffer and may have flaws along the length. They show up as dark or non-shinning areas.

I like soft tippet material and if you can find that in regular mono then give it try. A lot of people do it and think it is just as good. How good it works probably has a lot to do with what Mono they buy. I think anyone who is experimenting with different leader materials should own a Mike Rite. When you buy your Mono test it for flexibility and measure the diameter.

Frank

Mike Rite