WF vs. DT lines

ab fisher

Reaction score
ok so i have never used a double taper line, its alwasy been seight forward. It seems like most people dont use the double tapered line but i have know a few that only use double tapers. so i was wondering if there was any advantages to a double taper line over a weigth forward line.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
There's a few reasons to chose and use a DT
The first would be that they're economical. The have the same taper on each end so when you wear out one end, you can just reverse it.
Other reasons have to do with line control, most notably mending.
As you know from using WF lines, they have a thin front taper, then a fat, heavy 'head', then they taper back to a thin running line.
Well the DT lines have no 'running line' and stay fat through the middle. They are therefor heavier at the rod tip when you have of a lot of line out, say more than 28-30'. This make for much easier mending (at that distance or more) and if you can do it at that distance, roll casting too.
DT line may also have a longer thin front taper which makes for a softer presentation.

cwg

Reaction score
Ok, heres a question for ya-
from what I've read WF lines have 30-40 feet are the larger dia. section, right?
So...most of my casts are short, 30-40 feet add 7-9 ft for the leader and suddenly, I'm using a level line, right?
What if I hack off half of the larger dia WF-F?
break out the calipers measure the tip, go back to where ever it begins its downsizing and just half that distance, cut it off, will my WF-F line start taking advantage of that smaller diameter shooting section (thinking wind here, or streams)
yay or nay?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not do that. If you need to cope with wind you need to get a good tight loop cast down. If you are only fishing streams that are 40' wide or only casting 40 - 50' shooting line should not be an issue.

Ard

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi ab fisher and cwg,

cwg, you need to study a diagram of the line you are talking about modifying. I don't quite understand your comment about fishing level line. I don't think what you are talking about is a good idea.

Frank

Here is a post from another thread that may help you.

I think you may be a bit confused about the difference of the WF and DT fly lines. I have listed the measurements in the tables and you can compare the measurements on the photos. There is one mistake in the WF diagram. It shows the Front Taper 1 as 7' 6" and I believe the correct measurement is 7'.

Tapered Fly Lines are designed for the line to unroll during the cast and the heavier, larger diameter line, rolls over and carries the lighter line forward. The final completion of the unrolling of the fly line results in the heavier fly line tip causing the leader to unroll like the fly line did. That is why the leader butt must be close to the size of the fly line tip. If the leader butt is too small compared to the fly line tip, the leader will hinge or collapse. The tapering of the fly line and leader results in more fly line or leader that you can cast. A level leader or fly line will collapse from its on weight and consequently you can't cast as long of a level leader or level fly line as you can a tapered leader or fly line.

If you compare the running line of the WF fly line and the Belly portion of the DT line you will see that the DT line is much heavier in diameter. The larger diameter belly line of the DT fly line will limit the distance you can overhead cast a DT line. Up to some distance the level belly of the DT will assist in Roll casting. Eventually the the DT roll cast may also collapse from the shear weight of the line belly and the inability to impart enough energy by the caster to roll over the line.

You can see that the total head of the WF line is 46.5'. A good distance caster could carry most of that in the air and then shoot additional line on the cast delivery. The weight of the head will pull the light running line along and you can end up with an exceptional long cast. The long taper of the RIO LT line is not necessarily designed for distance but to enable excellent line mends. This WF line will also roll cast well up to 45' or so. Many Fly Fishers prefer the DT line for its excellent ability to roll cast and mend. If you make short cast a DT may help load the rod with less line out the tip.

You will find that different types of fly lines have many different tapers depending on what your target fish may be and how or where you are fishing. If you spend some time studying different fly line diagrams you will learn a lot about fly line design. Casting a fly line is all about energy. The rod imparts energy to the fly line and the unrolling of the fly line imparts energy down the fly line to the leader and then down the leader as it unrolls eventually delivering the fly to the water.

I just noticed that I didn't answer all of your questions. Shooting line is a light line added to the back of a shooting line like MP mentioned. The shooting line is lighter weight and of a different material than the shooting head. In the old days we use mono for shooting line but there are other options available now. I think you have the WF and DT fly lines mixed up. The WF im most cases will out cast a DT fly line. The first 30' of the WF and DT fly lines can be very similar according to the line manufacture design. It is usually after the first 30' that you start seeing the difference between the WF and DT fly lines.

Frank

Comparison of RIO LT Trout WF/DT Fly Line

WF Line Specifications | Spec
Line Size |5wt
Running Line|43.5
Back Taper |5
Body 1|22
Front Taper 2|12
Front Taper 1|7
Tip|0.5
Head |46.5
Line Total |90
30ft Wt. |140

All measurements are in feet.

DT Line Specifications | Spec
Line Size |5wt
Tip |0.5
Rear Taper |9
Rear Taper 2 |11.5
Body 1 |8
Body 2 |32
Body 3 |8
Front Taper 2 |11.5
Front Taper 1 |9
Tip |0.5
Line Total |90
30ft Wt. |140

Last edited:

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You've got great and detailed replies...As MP told you with a dt you'll have a new line when one side is worn out.When I buy a dt I cut it in the middle and connect it with a half old line and keep the second new half in a box .(have a look at the little tricks to share thread...);)

grousehunter49

Reaction score
According to UK, there is no advantage to a DT over a WF. I can,t believe you guys don,t use those little nylon leader conectors, I have joined lines with them, they last forever, I have never broke one, or pulled out the leader in a fish. They are the cats meow. You can change leaders in a second. Open in the middle, push line up center, out side, tye knot, push back in center, same with leader on other end, Walla.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
According to UK, there is no advantage to a DT over a WF. I can,t believe you guys don,t use those little nylon leader conectors, I have joined lines with them, they last forever, I have never broke one, or pulled out the leader in a fish. They are the cats meow. You can change leaders in a second. Open in the middle, push line up center, out side, tye knot, push back in center, same with leader on other end, Walla.
I'm interested in these, but have never seen them. Can you give me a name for them?

grousehunter49

Reaction score
Thats correct but I used nylon ones that were made by Eagle Claw, hard to find them now, I believe the other ones are hard plastic, I have a package but never opened them yet. They are great.