Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  17
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dying a Fly Line;

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    How do mono core lines like all the heating and cooling?
    My experience with heat is that you do not need the dye over 150 degrees. Cooler dye means longer periods of time for the color to permeate the coating.

Here's something that needs said; I did this a lot when I fished single hand rods using overhead casting. I did not like bright lines for personal reasons. Way back in the early days of this thread a guy named Mike (Okuma) boiled a line, the result was not good.

I have never tried to cold dye a line although I suspect you could do it with the dye at or near 120 degrees and just allow the line to soak until the dye becomes cold. I used to do the front 15 or 20 feet of brightly colored Spey lines but have stopped worrying about them at this time.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes cpiercem liked this post
  3. Default Re: Dying a Fly Line;

Ok for the record I followed Ard's proficient line-dying advice with a bright orange Carron Jetstream 10 / 11 wt.

Easy - peasy . Used RIT? Chocolate Brown and did line in 1/2 hr without turning kitchen into an out-take from the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Family unaware of this event!!

Line is now a subdued mud colour...lovely , very stealth. Line appears as before ; supple and smooth ,just not dazzling orange.

4. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Likes cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meyre View Post
    Ok for the record I followed Ard's proficient line-dying advice with a bright orange Carron Jetstream 10 / 11 wt.

Easy - peasy . Used RIT? Chocolate Brown and did line in 1/2 hr without turning kitchen into an out-take from the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Family unaware of this event!!

Line is now a subdued mud colour...lovely , very stealth. Line appears as before ; supple and smooth ,just not dazzling orange.
    That's great news!

Every time I see the thread bumped back to life I take a deep breath before I click hoping it isn't a horror story posted. I happen to have a custom Steve Godshall line that is currently white. I'll need to figure what color I want it to be and then I'll do a step by step photo post of the process and post a second thread here. Ever since our old member boiled his line I've worried about it happening again

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes cpiercem liked this post
  7. Default Re: Dying a Fly Line;

Yep...I have a number of lines that would be improved with a good boiling!!

Look forward to seeing your Pictorial Manual on fly-line colours and arrangements.

I was thinking of going ahead with some good pale Rios but use them on the coast as well as in river and wonder if they are better left pale.
    My finest cold-salt line is the #9wt 3M Striper Intermediate ...a ghost milky grey blue that just 'disappears' in the Atlantic, it also catches bass on both sides of the pond.
    Mark

8. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks Ard, for enlightening those who think line color is predetermined. I've been dying a few years (LONG TERM I hope.) and believe my stats went up after dying my lines.
    My short cut, that works well, but isn't permenent.
    I use a sharpy to band my client's lines, from the tip up about 10ft.
    Works well for those orange/yellow lines especially. Great color for learning, not so good for spooky trout. I find banding allows the fisher to see the light bands, and can see to mend, as opposed to full dying, which they cannot see and thereby fail to mend in time.
    Tweek your line color for best results.

Jim

10. Likes Ard, cpiercem liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345