Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tippet Tangle

Default Tippet Tangle

When I tie on a piece of 5X tippet I just take hold of the end sticking out of the hole in the elastice band on the roll and take out what I need and everything is okay. When I did that with a piece of 6X tippet it curled up really bad and wouldn't straighten out even after numerous casts. What did I do wrong?
    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tippet Tangle

I have had this happen to me as well. Basically there was too much pressure on the tippet spool when you pulled out the tippet. Because of the smaller dia. the tippet is more affected by the friction (causing it to pig-tail) from pulling off the spool. You can simply do your best to let the spool spin more freely in your hand. If that does not work, slip the tippet out of the hole on the band. Just let it unravel around the plastic spool.
    Hope that helps.

Default Re: Tippet Tangle

You can often straighten tippet and leader material by stretching it. You can pull it thru a leather (or whatever) leader straightener, or just kind of pull it slowly through your fingers under tension. Casting is probably the least likely way to straighten tippet material. And Cutthroat Leaders has a good point, too.

Gary