Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default How much line can be cut off of the tip?

I am currently using a weight forward 6 weight floating fly line. I recently switched leaders and had to cut off some fly line from the tip. On a weight forward line, how much line can be cut before casting performance deteriorates?

Default Re: How much line can be cut off of the tip?

Depending on the brand, your line should have about 5-6" of level tip before the taper starts and even if you cut back into the taper the line will still cast.

I've cut back lines purposely to "customize" regular weight forward lines to a bass bug/saltwater taper
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Hi smog7,

If you just cut off enough line to remove a knot you will be fine for several knots. I prefer not to tie my leader butt directly to the fly line tip. This way your fly line tip stays the same length for most of its life. A short piece of heavy mono nail knotted to your fly line is what I like. Then tie a Perfection loop in the end of the mono to fasten the leader butt to.

Frank

A friend taught me the leader-to-line knot below. It's never slipped and I've never lost a fish with it. I've change my leader numerous times on this line and have not had to cut it yet. The only issue is that it doesn't slip between the eyelets very well but I make do. SF

Hi Innes,

Thanks for sharing that knot. It does look like it wouldn't pull back through the tip top very good. For it to hold right you have to leave the end too long.

Frank