Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How much fly line can you cut off?

Hi texastroutbum,

There are a bunch of ways and I have used most of them over time. If you tie a nail knot right at the end of the fly line it gives a good base for a glue to adhere to and makes the knot stronger. I like to use Pliobond and apple a few coats.

If you use CA and cover the knot you have a big hard spot right on the end of the fly line. With CA I like to slide the last twelve inches or so of the fly line between my fingers pulling to the end of the fly line. Use some pressure and this will slide a very small amount of the fly line coating forward of the core. You only need like a 32nd of an inch gap or less. Take a pointed toothpick and fill that small gap with a thin super glue and that will do it. The glue will suck up into the braid and seal the tip.

Frank

Thanks Frank for the detailed directions.
    I am going to use Zap agap and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi texastroutbum,

There are a bunch of ways and I have used most of them over time. If you tie a nail knot right at the end of the fly line it gives a good base for a glue to adhere to and makes the knot stronger. I like to use Pliobond and apple a few coats.

If you use CA and cover the knot you have a big hard spot right on the end of the fly line. With CA I like to slide the last twelve inches or so of the fly line between my fingers pulling to the end of the fly line. Use some pressure and this will slide a very small amount of the fly line coating forward of the core. You only need like a 32nd of an inch gap or less. Take a pointed toothpick and fill that small gap with a thin super glue and that will do it. The glue will suck up into the braid and seal the tip.

Frank

This is why I use Loon UV Wader Repair glue. It's pliable and I can create a nice taper on either side of the knot so it goes though the guides easier. Oh, and curing it in seconds with a UV light is handy also.

Iíve been thinking about UV light stuff, and your comment makes me really thinking of getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    This is why I use Loon UV Wader Repair glue. It's pliable and I can create a nice taper on either side of the knot so it goes though the guides easier. Oh, and curing it in seconds with a UV light is handy also.
    Frank's recommended Pliobond is also flexible, although it takes longer to cure. I have used it for many years and had no problem with it. Even over decades it remains flexible, but of course still sealing the cut end of the fly line. I use it to coat other joints as well, such as backing to fly line, coating nail knots, etc.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Quote Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
    Frank's recommended Pliobond is also flexible, although it takes longer to cure. I have used it for many years and had no problem with it. Even over decades it remains flexible, but of course still sealing the cut end of the fly line. I use it to coat other joints as well, such as backing to fly line, coating nail knots, etc.
    I know, I was agreeing with him but just throwing in another option with a UV cure twist.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    I know, I was agreeing with him but just throwing in another option with a UV cure twist.
    Actually, Mudbug, I was thinking of following your advice, since I have some Loon Wader Repair on hand anyway. My thinking is that, unlike Pliobond, I wouldn't need to leave the fly line draped around the room while I allowed it to cure, a real positive to marital relations. Also, if I recall correctly, the Loon UV products will cure in a minute or so in direct sunlight as well - am I right on that?
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Also, if I recall correctly, the Loon UV products will cure in a minute or so in direct sunlight as well - am I right on that?
    Yes. I use it frequently, applying it in dim light then taking it outside to cure. Doesn't take long.

Does the Loon UV wader repair stay flexible? I know Knot Sense dries hard like Superglue.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
    Actually, Mudbug, I was thinking of following your advice, since I have some Loon Wader Repair on hand anyway. My thinking is that, unlike Pliobond, I wouldn't need to leave the fly line draped around the room while I allowed it to cure, a real positive to marital relations. Also, if I recall correctly, the Loon UV products will cure in a minute or so in direct sunlight as well - am I right on that?

Yes.

I believe the idea is that you take it with you and if you find you have a seam leaking or a small hole you can patch it creekside and in a minute or so the UV rays from the sun will cure it.

I just happened to have a cheap UV light I bought when dealing with a new puppy and I tried it and found it cured it in about 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Does the Loon UV wader repair stay flexible? I know Knot Sense dries hard like Superglue.

Frank
    Yes, it stays flexible, it's made for repairing neoprene and breathable waders. If it wasn't flexible it would just crack and leak again.

Loon UV Wader Repair

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQZQc9Q_Lc"]Loon UV Cure Wader Repair - YouTube[/ame]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12