Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lead Head

Default Lead Head

Ladies/Gents

I remember reading an article here about a special tippet used to sink streamers. Also I believe it could be used on the end of your floating line, sounds perfect to me if one does a lot of switching during the day from shallow to deep fishing and or is still new at this game and wants to use the floating line as their indicator.

Tried the search option and didn't have any luck, does anyone have instructions on this type of setup?

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lead Head

I dunno about special tippet, but Orvis has what's called a polyleader (in a few different sink speeds) that functions like a sink-tip. Just attach to your fly line like a standard leader (typically via loop-to-loop), tie a perfection loop in the tippet end, tie up a few short lengths (2-3') of whatever tippet sizes you usually use with perfection loops and get fishing! While I don't do a whole lot of catching, these are very useful for getting to the right depth in deeper (4'+) or faster water without needing shot.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Ard came up with a leader setup to get flies down. I'm sure he'll see this and reply, or you can look back through his posts. He's using it on a spey rod so he may have posted it in the spey section. Myself I have used either weighted flies or sinking leaders. I have a couple of them from Trevor Morgan and I made a really short one out of T-17.

Along with a 28' shooting head I have half a dozen or so lead heads that I've made from Cortland LC-13.
    The two that I use the most are 4" and 6" that I'll use between the leader and tippet instead of split shot.
    I also have 2', 3', and 4' sections that I'll use between the line and leader instead of switching from a floating to a sinking line. You can daisy chain a couple of them together for extra weight or even use them as a sink-tip on a full sinking line to get down extra deep. That's actually pretty useful and not as hard to cast as you might think
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-24-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Hi Dave & any other interested parties,

The leader description is at the bottom of this thread. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

Recently I have been fishing with a fellow who slowly made the change to the design I use and suddenly his fish count is above mine. He is using material known as T-14 instead of the braided lead head but his results are the same. If you read the text and think about it, the longer you make the butt section the further away from your floating line you place the sinking section of your leader. This results in faster - deeper sink and better overall control of the submerged fly via the ability to mend the floating line. When you connect a sink tip / lead head / T-14, or whatever directly to the tip of your line it 'will' drag your line under with it. With this system the tip will remain floating, eventually some will follow the leader but your feel and control for & over the fly will be greater the way I rig.

I've used every means that were available to get streamers down and this was the best and what I will use this afternoon.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thanks everybody for the info. I didn't know who had posted the article I was looking for, but Ard nailed it.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.