Sink tip with a indicator?

iciclecreek

Reaction score
Hey, so i just started steelhead fishing with a fly rod. I went out with a guide and caught 2 wild steelies. His rig he gave me was a sink tip line, about a 9-10 foot leader with a thingamabobber (adjusting to the depth of the pool), and a tandom rig with a nymph first and a plastic bead (salmon roe) trailer. Even the guy at my local fishing shop recomended sink tip when nymphing.

Now i understand a sink tip would be useful when just plain nymphing with no indicator. I feel really dumb buying some $70 rio sinktip when i will be using a indicator. first it slows down setting the hook ( not to much of a bad thing, you want the fish to take it). second it is point less with a indicator.

Am i wrong?:confused:

iciclecreek

Reaction score
sinktip with a indicator?

Hey, so i just started steelhead fishing with a fly rod. I went out with a guide and caught 2 wild steelies. His rig he gave me was a sink tip line, about a 9-10 foot leader with a thingamabobber (adjusting to the depth of the pool), and a tandom rig with a nymph first and a plastic bead (salmon roe) trailer. Even the guy at my local fishing shop recomended sink tip when nymphing.

Now i understand a sink tip would be useful when just plain nymphing with no indicator. I feel really dumb buying some $70 rio sinktip when i will be using a indicator and its 14 ft tip 7-8 IPS sink rate. first it slows down setting the hook ( not to much of a bad thing, you want the fish to take it). second it is point less with a indicator.

Am i wrong?

mikel

Reaction score
I don't think a sink tip line set up as suggested with an indicator/nymph rig would work for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re: sinktip with a indicator?

Now i understand a sink tip would be useful when just plain nymphing with no indicator. I feel really dumb buying some $70 rio sinktip when i will be using a indicator and its 14 ft tip 7-8 IPS sink rate. first it slows down setting the hook ( not to much of a bad thing, you want the fish to take it). second it is point less with a indicator.

Am i wrong?
I'm with you on this one. An indicator is gonna make you fly ride higher in the water and for the most part negates the use of the sink tip.

The only way to get round the 'bobber is to used heavily weighted flies that will sink regardless of the sink tip.

I would imagine if you're casting a heavy rod spey style then the sink tip will help throw the line, other than that i cant see the point of the 'bobber and the sink tip

sandfly

Reaction score
Re: sinktip with a indicator?

sounds kinda stupid to fish a sink tip with a indicator. for 1 a sink tip is made to get the leader (2-4' normally) not 9-10 foot down along with the fly. Anything longer and the fly is going to rise with the current unless it is heavily weighted.

thenextlevel

Reaction score
I can't understand why a guide would give you a sink tip line with an indicator. That doesn't make any sense to me. But then again I have never fished for Steelhead, so maybe I don't know what I am taking about.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi iceman,

I haven't read all the posts on the thread so I may not be in concert with everyone but.............. I realize a guides job is to help you to catch fish however having a guy catch his first steelhead with a bobber and a plastic lure would be like me taking you shopping and showing you how to shoplift. In the end the guy using the beads and bobbers isn't fly fishing any more than the shoplifter is shopping. Real people buy their goods and real fly fishermen earn their steelhead, they catch em on flies. Don't fall into that line of doing it, I'll stop now before I get everyone mad at me.

Old head here,

Ard