Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Better sink tip line for my 9'6 7 wt??

Hi !!

I need a sink tip line for my rod. But what is the best for my stream?

I fish browns and sea trout with streamers, in fast river (and about 3 to 8' deep).

I saw this oneScientific Anglers Professional Series Sink Tip Fly Line : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

they said "short to medium distance". In WF 7 type 5

And this other one :

Scientific Anglers Wet Tip Express Sink Tip Fly line : Fishwest Online Fly Shop

In 200 grain 6-7 wt. I don't know the difference, just the last one, is for deeper fishing. But a type 5 how deep that is fish?

Thanx

Blog Entries

Default Re: Better sink tip line for my 9'6 7 wt??

Hi Ben,

I have moved away from the factory sink tip lines and now use a floater and a leader built to take flies down. I have tried to describe the leader at the bottom of this thread. The top part is a step by step on making braided loops but the bottom gets to the nitty gritty of how I fish my streamers. If you read the text and have questions feel free to PM or post questions here and I will try to clear up any confusion you might have.

Ard

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Hi

Thanck you Ard, I'll read it.

Blog Entries

If you give some thought to the leader design you will perhaps realize that it works like this: the floating line floats; the 4 - 6 feet of 25 Lb. Mono butt sinks quick because it is being pulled down by the braided head; the fly & tippet attached to the terminal end of the head is not going into the bottom as it would were it a weighted fly, it is getting a good deep drift / swing at the end of the leader.

Since I made the change from 15' sink tips and short leaders I have had very few incidents where I am snagged to anything on the bottom although I hit enough stuff to assure me the fly is near the bottom. I have only foul hooked 2 fish this season using this system whereas in previous years using the sink tips I would guess I would foul hook at least 12 or more fish every year and have innumerable incidents where I got hung up on the bottom due to.............I don't know exactly what but I know I like this system a lot more and am catching fish. The company selling the braided heads will mail them to you or you can make a similar component using T-14 or T-17 and making a small perfection loop on each end for your connection loops.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Huuu !!

Well, it's a great experience.

Now, depends on rivers or lakes you fish. What kind of rivers do you fish? slow current, moderate or fast? Also the deepness....

I think buy the sink tip of SA Pro sink tip. in S5 WF7.

It have 10' sinking tip, I think that's enought to go deep like 8' 9' .

Blog Entries

Hi Ben,
    There are different sink tip strategies. Here is how I look at it.

Slow current, small moving water - short sink tip (10')
    Slow current, big moving water - medium sink tip (15')
    Fast current, small moving water - medium sink tip (15')
    Fast current, big moving water - long sink tip or integrated shooting head (24' to 30')
    Then choose an appropriate sink rate.

For this kind of water, these guys were using 24' foot 175 to 200 grain sink tips to efficiently fish a holding area that was four to six feet deep. The water flow was rated at 5000 cfs that day. There was one section that was really deep. A 325 grain sink tip was used to get a fish from that hole.

If you are going to fish lakes, consider a full sinking line rather than a sink tip.

Dennis

Thanck a lot Moscapescador;

I change the line for a 200 grain, sink tip with 24 ' tip.

To refer at the picture, I fish bigger rivers, with much more current and an average of 6-8' deep.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d%27Oloron.JPG

Blog Entries

Ben,you can trust Dennis....he always gives good adviceGot any on "gobages"?

Hi JP !!!

Well on the french forum, everyone is "the Best" .... know what I meen.... french mentality I supposed. lol

But Gobage is a good forum, the fishing style is different. People rarely use sink lines.