Best "style" steelhead/salmon line (singlehand)

bakerboy2222

Reaction score
Radical weight forward?
Single hand spey? / Wulff triangle taper?
double taper?
short but thick front taper to running line?

I've heard all of these are the best. That's pretty much all the fly line types I know other than level.

I'll be doing plenty of roll casts and single hand spey casts with lots of weight including indicators, and for long distances that I'll need to mend on. Big river, probably swinging big streamers, but I just need something to roll cast well at 50'.

Going on an 8weight 10' rod

Help!

Thanks in Advance
Alec

whalensdad

Reaction score
Alec,

Sorry, I just saw this post. I purchased the Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead line for this purpose. The 8wt head length is 63' I think. Coupled with the right rod (which I didn't do) you should have no trouble roll casting 50' (or more).

WD

moucheur2003

Reaction score
If you're using a single handed rod, the best line for dry-fly and "greased line" (swung wet fly near the surface) salmon and steelhead fishing is a long belly weight forward floater. The weight forward line allows you to shoot for distance better than a DT, while the long rear taper allows for better roll casts and mends.

You don't want a spey or DT line. They will overload the rod when you try to cast with a lot of line out. You also don't want an aggressively front-loaded taper meant to turn over heavy flies like bass bugs and clousers, because salmon and steelhead flies aren't that heavy, and you lose a lot of mending control.

Most of the major manufacturers make a "salmon/steelhead" line like this. I have found that the SA Mastery XXD is similar and also a good choice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands and there isn't enough difference among them to cost you a fish on the water. When I need a new one I just look for whatever's on sale or clearance. If you look you may still find some old unsold stock out there without the welded front loop at a good price.

If you're also fishing weighted stuff, you might want a sink tip rather than a floater. Orvis makes one with only the front 4' weighted. I haven't used it myself, but it might be a good compromise between the need to go deep on the one hand and the need to roll cast and mend on the other.

Reaction score
I use a WF8F, sometimes with an attachable sink tip in T11 or T14 (5-15ft). Roll casts are no problem with our without the tip. (Rod is 10'6 8wt single hand)

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I use a WF8F, sometimes with an attachable sink tip in T11 or T14 (5-15ft). Roll casts are no problem with our without the tip. (Rod is 10'6 8wt single hand)
Yes, I've done that too. I agree, a mini lead head or attachable sink tip is more versatile than a standard sink tip line because you can take it off and fish on top without switching spools. I do think a longer belly WF is going to be easier than a standard WF for mending and roll casting, though -- especially if you needed to buy a new line anyway.