Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hand-woven tapered leaders

Hey guys

At work today (Cabeala's) and work on some research on the hand-woven tapered leaders like the ones made by Blue skies
    (Custom Fly Fishing Products).
    I was told that Orvis make them to, but did not check on them. So, who here has used them? What can you tell me about them and the pros and cons.

Default Re: Hand-woven tapered leaders

Cutthroat leaders has them as well, his ads are on this website.
    Last edited by jcw355; 04-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    Okiemountaineer

Orvis sells braided leaders, I think you're referring to furled leaders. Big difference. Use the search and type in furled leaders. There's a ton of info here on furled and twisted (another type).
    Last edited by mojo; 04-15-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
    Cutthroat leaders has them as well, his ads our on this website.
    As does 'Joni' one of our Super Mod's here on the site. I've used both of their furled leaders and they're top notch. I even use them with my Spey Rods with a full floating line.

Can't speak to Cutthroat, but Joni even makes a 'sinking' furled leader that's the 'Cat's Meow.' These (if memory serves) are made out of (or its incorporated in) Kevlar thread. These things are damned near indestructible.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

Can't speak to Cutthroat, but Joni even makes a 'sinking' furled leader that's the 'Cat's Meow.'
    I use something like this on my streamer set-up, furled Florocarbon from Feathercraft. It works nice.

Got some of Joni's leaders recently and am loving them. Some people complain that they spray water when you false cast, but I haven't found that to be an issue. I like them because I find they turn over a tippet very well. I also find I can use one for a long time, just adding and removing tippet as needed using a loop to loop connection.

Joni has a very small ring on the tippet end of the leader that is fantastic. It makes it very easy to remove a section.

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    Got some of Joni's leaders recently and am loving them. Some people complain that they spray water when you false cast, but I haven't found that to be an issue. I like them because I find they turn over a tippet very well. I also find I can use one for a long time, just adding and removing tippet as needed using a loop to loop connection.

Joni has a very small ring on the tippet end of the leader that is fantastic. It makes it very easy to remove a section.
    William, you're right about people saying that they spray water, but that's because they're using or thinking BRAIDED leaders. The Orvis kind. Furled, braided and twisted leaders.Three different animals. Years ago I used braided leaders for a short time. They do spray water, but I really doubt it disturbs the fish.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

I've used a few different ones I found & bought off Ebay for a few years now,this was before I noticed them advertised here,a Fellow Society Member & Fellow Fisherman also uses ones from Feathercraft.
    I liked them & have caught lots of fish with them,however I had troubles with them in the weed.
    One of my other projects,one day as well as many others I have going is to make a Jig as I'd like to make some out of very fine Braid otherwise they are a good product & I am looking foward to using them in The Big Rivers when I return to The US/Alaska .
    Brian.

Great feedback, guys. The brand that I looked at are Blue skies. The first thing that I notice was how the tipped end stretch up to five inches. They seem to hold up well and gives you that smooth cast and layout. I talked to one customer about them who has the Orvis brand. He has used the same leader for the last three years so I can see the benifites on them.

I will look at all the brands that makes them.

10. Default Re: Hand-woven tapered leaders

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree View Post
    Great feedback, guys. The brand that I looked at are Blue skies. The first thing that I notice was how the tipped end stretch up to five inches. They seem to hold up well and gives you that smooth cast and layout. I talked to one customer about them who has the Orvis brand. He has used the same leader for the last three years so I can see the benifites on them.

I will look at all the brands that makes them.

I know Orvis has BRAIDED leaders but not furled. They are two different animals all the way. No comparison.

Also sounds like a Bimini when you mention stretching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast