Hand-woven tapered leaders

oaktree

Reaction score
Hey guys

At work today (Cabeala's) and work on some research on the hand-woven tapered leaders like the ones made by Blue skies
(Custom Fly Fishing Products).
I was told that Orvis make them to, but did not check on them. So, who here has used them? What can you tell me about them and the pros and cons.

jcw355

Reaction score
Cutthroat leaders has them as well, his ads are on this website.

Last edited:

mojo

Reaction score
Orvis sells braided leaders, I think you're referring to furled leaders. Big difference. Use the search and type in furled leaders. There's a ton of info here on furled and twisted (another type).

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Cutthroat leaders has them as well, his ads our on this website.
As does 'Joni' one of our Super Mod's here on the site. I've used both of their furled leaders and they're top notch. I even use them with my Spey Rods with a full floating line.

Can't speak to Cutthroat, but Joni even makes a 'sinking' furled leader that's the 'Cat's Meow.' These (if memory serves) are made out of (or its incorporated in) Kevlar thread. These things are damned near indestructible.:exercise:

williamhj

Reaction score
Got some of Joni's leaders recently and am loving them. Some people complain that they spray water when you false cast, but I haven't found that to be an issue. I like them because I find they turn over a tippet very well. I also find I can use one for a long time, just adding and removing tippet as needed using a loop to loop connection.

Joni has a very small ring on the tippet end of the leader that is fantastic. It makes it very easy to remove a section.

mojo

Reaction score
Got some of Joni's leaders recently and am loving them. Some people complain that they spray water when you false cast, but I haven't found that to be an issue. I like them because I find they turn over a tippet very well. I also find I can use one for a long time, just adding and removing tippet as needed using a loop to loop connection.

Joni has a very small ring on the tippet end of the leader that is fantastic. It makes it very easy to remove a section.
William, you're right about people saying that they spray water, but that's because they're using or thinking BRAIDED leaders. The Orvis kind. Furled, braided and twisted leaders.Three different animals. Years ago I used braided leaders for a short time. They do spray water, but I really doubt it disturbs the fish.

L

Liphookedau

I've used a few different ones I found & bought off Ebay for a few years now,this was before I noticed them advertised here,a Fellow Society Member & Fellow Fisherman also uses ones from Feathercraft.
I liked them & have caught lots of fish with them,however I had troubles with them in the weed.
One of my other projects,one day as well as many others I have going is to make a Jig as I'd like to make some out of very fine Braid otherwise they are a good product & I am looking foward to using them in The Big Rivers when I return to The US/Alaska .
Brian.

oaktree

Reaction score
Great feedback, guys. The brand that I looked at are Blue skies. The first thing that I notice was how the tipped end stretch up to five inches. They seem to hold up well and gives you that smooth cast and layout. I talked to one customer about them who has the Orvis brand. He has used the same leader for the last three years so I can see the benifites on them.

I will look at all the brands that makes them.

Joni

Reaction score
Great feedback, guys. The brand that I looked at are Blue skies. The first thing that I notice was how the tipped end stretch up to five inches. They seem to hold up well and gives you that smooth cast and layout. I talked to one customer about them who has the Orvis brand. He has used the same leader for the last three years so I can see the benifites on them.

I will look at all the brands that makes them.

I know Orvis has BRAIDED leaders but not furled. They are two different animals all the way. No comparison.

Also sounds like a Bimini when you mention stretching.

oaktree

Reaction score
I know Orvis has BRAIDED leaders but not furled. They are two different animals all the way. No comparison.

Also sounds like a Bimini when you mention stretching.

"Bimini"? What is that? Yea, at the tipped end, the last foot and half it will stretch as you put it. Is this a bad thing?

oaktree

Reaction score
Well, i got Blue skies breaded leader and really like the results. From the looks of it, it just gave me five to ten yards more on my casting. Real smooth too. Now i just have to upgrade my 20 year old fly line to SA GPX.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Oaktree and all,

There is only a cursory relationship between braided and furled leaders. Furled is popular in this forum so, as someone who was an early adapter of braided leader butts (1983) allow a brief tutorial.

Blue Sky, first W.Yellowstone then lower down the Madison valley, had the first braided leaders on these shores. They were already enjoying some burgeoning popularity among French and Spanish fly fishers overseas. The early Blue Sky's were tapered by knotting together different diameter braid but they and Orvis in 1984-5 started having them braided on a multi-filament reduction machine in Europe. At first they were intended to be affixed via a splice in which the tip of the fly line is inserted into the hollow braid 1/2" and locked with a drop of Zap-A-Gap. This proved too much craftsmanship for some customers so Orvis added a loop splice later...at both ends. Frankly, the direct splice is the superior mounting method and, when I buy a new one today, I cut off the loop and splice; In all these years I have NEVER had a single one fail! At the tippet end I make a 12 turn nail knot of appropriate diameter mono, generally around 0X that will yield a symmetrical loop when flexed indicating correct mass mating for energy transfer, then build down to my tippet conventionally with blood knots. Importantly, Orvis braided butts come in line weight designated sizes and my experience has been that if I want that same uniform energy transfer flex profile I need to go up a size. These leaders are optimal for technical dry fly presentations so I use them all but exclusively on #4 and 5-weight lines but I purchase the 6/7- weight size braided butts. They perform as an extension of the taper of the fly line. Free of memory coiling and tapering to a much smaller tip diameter than coated line could be manufactured to, they are an interface from line to a leader butt of relatively fine 0X so control of tippets in excess of 5' lengths are achievable. One can straighten a super long tippet or introduce controlled curves into it with the responsive tip of your rod to achieve superior results in fly placement and drift. Yes, some water can be sprayed off the increased surface area of the braid assisting an angler in developing the good habit of false casting away from the rising trout until prepared to present. There is stretch in the braid too as there is in braided nylon core fly line but we are only using some 6' of braid so control is still very well communicated. Certainly, more angler rigging skill and re-building maintenance is required using a braided system. The rewards are a leader that easily may last two full seasons of solid use or even more and that delivers dry flies with more accuracy and control than any other.

Some may find them too labor intensive but the majority of my regular fishing companions have learned to love and even cherish them when crawling a flush-floating dun pattern against the overhanging bank grass on the Delaware, Henry's Fork or upper Missouri where the big boy sipping in the shadows beneath it are unforgiving critics of long, fly-first, dead drift presentations.

risenfly

Reaction score
Check out Cutthroats leaders (ad on top of page)

They were nice enough to donate some of their products to one of my events I attended a few weeks back. Got a chance to look at them and they are TOP quality. I use knotted tapered leaders I build, but I may be trying out a few of theirs next season. I've only heard good things from those who use them.