Overlining

Mnflyfish

Reaction score
what are the reasons for over lining? I hear alot about putting a line sz heavier on a reel and was just wondering as to the "why". Thanks guys!

Jackster

Reaction score
Some use overlining to give a stiff rod feeling. Overlining is also used quite a bit for short casts where very little line is out past the rod tip. In both cases it helps to load the rod.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Overlining can be used to throw big heavies or wind resistant flies much more efficiently. I throw sparse Steelhead flies with an 8 weight line on my 8 weight rod. I throw size 2 to 3/0 striper flies using lines with heads ranging from 300 to 350 grains (10 to 11 weight).

Dennis

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Like Jack, I can load my rod faster..
Like Dennis, I can cast larger flies on a lighter rod
but i use floating lines, and when I overline my rod I can mend at a greater distance

L

Liphookedau

My Reasons like Many of the others:
1.The Rod will Load Quicker,some Lines are made 1/2 Wt heavier to load The Modern Rods Quicker.
2. Subsequently from #1 The Line will Shoot faster.
3. Some Rods will become Stiffer,which can make it a Faster Rod.
4. A Heavier Line can Cast Heavier Flies.
5. To Cast Heavier Flies on a Lighter Wt Rod,which I think isn't a good idea,go up in size (if you have another heavier Rod.).
6. Can punch Flies into wind better.
7. Some Rods are better Lined with a Heavier Wt Line,even though The Makers say what Wt Rod it is they don't say which Line is best suited,because with some Maker's who also make Lines,I have found Their Rods are better with other peoples Lines not what they reccomend just so they can sell Lines.
8. For relatively short confined casts which I call a "Snap Cast" in some tight Spots virtually just using The Rod Tip to cast The Fly.
Unlike Rip I mainly only Fish our Local Lakes & there is no need to mend.

* Of course with certain Rods all of these points are debateable.
Brian.

Last edited: