Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Maintenance question for lines.

I been fly fishing for 7months now and I have cheap fly line. Orvis Clearwater fly line. Well I been cleaning my line with soap and luke-warm water and pushing the line though a dry soft towel. My line will feel so much cleaner, cast more smoother, BUT I still see the dirt on the line. I don't have no line dressing I don't know if that helps either. How can I get my line more cleaner? Any household item's will work for a dressing maybe? Does it help?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Maintenance question for lines.

One of my casting competition buddies likes to "juice" his fly lines with Armor All. I have not tried it.

Dennis

Was thinking about car cleaner but honestly I thought that would be too much chemical's getting into your line and not actually cleaning more of a waxing.

Blog Entries

You can get fly line dressings at a lot of big box sporting goods. I also have seen some at various Walmart locations. They may or may not be named brands though.

Dennis

Thanks, I'll call up some of my local tackle shops around here. Wal-mart here don't have anything for fly fishing. (Once in a blue moon)

I wouldn't use harsh dish detergent on the lines. The major manufacturers also suggest not using it. Mild bar soap like Ivory works fine and isn't too harsh.
    I also wouldn't use stuff you find in the garage or under the kitchen sink to dress lines. Dressings made for fly lines aren't really that expensive and go a long way. It's not like your cleaning all of the vinyl on your car. A few drops in a cloth is plenty for a fly line.
    Just last fall I wanted to clean a bright, optic orange line for a fly fishing show demo I was set to do. The line I wanted to use was no longer orange but various shades of black from parking lot demo's. In my line prep drawer was a package of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They look like a fine grained sponge. I never saw anything clean a truly nasty line like they did.
    I would opt for the original and not the bath scrubbing type... that has what sounds like harsh chemicals in it. Also, after using it I would definately dress the line. That will make the line cast and float better and is the directions are followed, attract less dirt to the line.
    Here's a link to the original Magic Eraser: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original