Why doesn't Scientific Anglers publish the 30' weight of their lines?

mudbug

Reaction score
Seriously.

I'm looking at their mastery siries bass bug and pike lines and want to compare them to what I already have. They have taper info but no info about weight.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
They do for some of their lines, but not all...

Maybe if you listed what lines you are comparing them to, someone could give you a comparison...

wjc

Reaction score
Email SA tech support. But I'm sure they will tell you that they conform to the AFTMA "standards" for that weight line.

mudbug

Reaction score
Email SA tech support. But I'm sure they will tell you that they conform to the AFTMA "standards" for that weight line.
except that some of their lines are 1/2 over. I just don't know which and don't understand why they can't just publish the info like RIO does.

kwb

Reaction score
except that some of their lines are 1/2 over. I just don't know which and don't understand why they can't just publish the info like RIO does.
The only way to know, is get the line and use a grain scale. ALL fly lines from all companies will vary in weight from one line to another of the same model/weight. To say all 7 weight Outbound lines weigh x amount of grains is not true because they will vary to some degree. There is no way to get each line to weigh exactly the same, they just get close...

Last edited:

mudbug

Reaction score
The only way to know, is get the line and use a grain scale. ALL fly lines will vary in weight from one line to another of the same model/weight...

The idea that I need to spend $80 on a line just to find out what it weighs is stupid as hell. What is this, Obamacare?

kwb

Reaction score
The idea that I need to spend $80 on a line just to find out what it weighs is stupid as hell. What is this, Obamacare?
The idea you have put forth more effort on this forum complaining about it when you could have made a phone call to SA and found out sounds....

I was honestly trying to help you bud, you never mentioned what lines you were trying to compare them to???

Last edited:

mudbug

Reaction score
The idea you have put forth more effort on this forum complaining about it when you could have made a phone call to SA and found out sounds....
I posted one question 5 weeks ago, nobody responded, I forgot about it.

every once in awhile someone brings it back up and I respond.

I've put no work into this thread.

kwb

Reaction score
I posted one question 5 weeks ago, nobody responded, I forgot about it.

every once in awhile someone brings it back up and I respond.

I've put no work into this thread.
How many digits would you type into the phone to call SA and get the lowdown?

How many digits have you typed into this thread?

See what I am getting at? You asked a question why SA doesn't do something, obviously only they can answer that...

Not trying to harp on ya, but honestly, give them a call if you really want to know, my guess is, you will get more info than you could ever imagine...

Also, just an FYI, they do post the grain weight of the SA Textured Titan Taper and based on the fact you are looking at the Pike and Bass taper, that Titan taper may be of interest to you, it is an amazing fly line...

You never did mention what lines you were trying to compare them to, I have used a lot of fly lines and could have possibly gave you a good comparison, I have used that Bass Bug Taper by SA, a lot...

Last edited:

spug

Reaction score
I agree Mudbug. I was going through the same thing. Rio (on most of their lines) has the 30 ft. and total head grain weight listed. I called SA a few weeks back and they couldn't get someone on the phone to give me an answer. The lady I spoke with told me it was all listed in the catalog. She sent me one and it was not listed. The actual grain weight is everything. Most of their lines do fall within AFTMA numbers but it is still nice to know the actual grain weight of the specific line before purchase. As far as the Rio comment, the Tropical Outbound is an integrated shooting head line. Most people using shooting heads go two sizes heavy on a 30 ft head attached with loops to their running line so Rio did just that only without the loops or knots to click and bind up in the guides, and the 30 ft. grain weight is clearly listed in the specs.

kwb

Reaction score
I agree Mudbug. I was going through the same thing. Rio (on most of their lines) has the 30 ft. and total head grain weight listed. I called SA a few weeks back and they couldn't get someone on the phone to give me an answer. The lady I spoke with told me it was all listed in the catalog. She sent me one and it was not listed. The actual grain weight is everything. Most of their lines do fall within AFTMA numbers but it is still nice to know the actual grain weight of the specific line before purchase. As far as the Rio comment, the Tropical Outbound is an integrated shooting head line. Most people using shooting heads go two sizes heavy on a 30 ft head attached with loops to their running line so Rio did just that only without the loops or knots to click and bind up in the guides, and the 30 ft. grain weight is clearly listed in the specs.
What good does a 30' head measurement really do for you?

Lets get real here, how often do you cast with exactly 30' of line out the guides? Furthermore, some lines are designed to be cast with more or less line out too.

Actual weight will not matter so much as the taper will, meaning one line with 33' of line out of the guides will cast heavier than say another taper at 33' even if they weighed the same. I have never once felt the need to under or overline a SA Bass Bug Taper and I fished that line for years and years on slow and fast rods, I don't have a grain scale or I would weigh one of mine for you.

I know the Clearwater is Greg Pearson's territory for SA, drop him a note, he is the SA Rep for your area, he will get you squared away...

Be sure to tell him about your poor experience when calling SA customer service hotline too. The sales reps rely on their dealers to sell the products they promote, so if there is something their shops customers aren't happy with, they tend to take it personally as their income relies on happy customers, my guess is, they will work on making you guys happy.

gsp_pearson@yahoo.com

In a nutshell, what I am getting at is, anyone who says, 331 grains on rod x is the perfect weight is kidding themselves as one taper it may be true, but others it likely will be different. You need to actually cast a line to know...

Hope you guys find what you are looking for!

Last edited:

kwb

Reaction score
In an effort to help out the original poster, I asked SA Rep Jerry Darkes and told him about the desire to have them listed on the SA website, here is his response...

Both of those lines are true line weight per listed AFTMA standard, I'm quite certain. Have passed your message on.

http://css.sbcma.com/timj/flyline_chart.htm

spug

Reaction score
I am right there with you on the whole 30 ft thing but you will have to talk to whoever decided to make that the standard weight measurement for fly lines. I had nothing to do with that. You are also right about taper. The length and placement of weight on heads makes all the difference in the world. That's why I made the comment about Rio having the "full head weight" listed on their site. You ever throw the Rio Redfish taper? It has a nice steady taper until about 30 ft. and then all the rest kicks in instantly and all of a sudden your 8 is now a ten and your rod is bent in half. I think we are on the same page here, just different wording. That' what really matters. We are all (rod designers, me, you, and the next guy) using that 30 ft. weight as a starting point.
Unless things have changed recently, Rick Hess is our rep and he won't have a clue.

kwb

Reaction score
I am right there with you on the whole 30 ft thing but you will have to talk to whoever decided to make that the standard weight measurement for fly lines. I had nothing to do with that. You are also right about taper. The length and placement of weight on heads makes all the difference in the world. That's why I made the comment about Rio having the "full head weight" listed on their site. You ever throw the Rio Redfish taper? It has a nice steady taper until about 30 ft. and then all the rest kicks in instantly and all of a sudden your 8 is now a ten and your rod is bent in half. I think we are on the same page here, just different wording. That' what really matters. We are all (rod designers, me, you, and the next guy) using that 30 ft. weight as a starting point.
Unless things have changed recently, Rick Hess is our rep and he won't have a clue.
Yes, I have cast that Redfish line, what you stated is spot on!

You are likely right about your rep "I was thinking Clearwater River, maybe we aren't on same page?", I asked our rep here though and got a response from him quick, fast and in a hurry...

Take care and tight lines!

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Just a few more things that have came to light...

1) Rio does NOT list the weight of ALL their lines...

2) The ONLY lines on the SA site that do NOT have their actual weight listed are the ones which conform to the AFTMA standard. So if you don't see a weight, you can assume it will meet the AFTMA standard.

3) The SA Mastery Bass Bug & Pike Taper Fly Lines meet AFTMA standards for their weight.

I hope this answers any questions anyone may have, I do not represent SA in any way, shape or form, I simply am a huge fan of their fly lines, leaders and tippet materials...

wjc

Reaction score
This has turned into an interesting discussion and I have missed most of it. Calling any line manufacturer on the phone will result in nothing but frustration. Even emailing them may take several tries to get the correct information.

I went through this with both SA and Cortland via emails but did wind up with the TOTAL HEAD WEIGHT of the series of lines I was after from both of them, I think.

They will first give you the 30' weight which is totally irrelavent except for 30 foot heads.

I finally got to a guy at Cortland named Joe Goodspeed who actually went down and cut the heads off a bunch of lines, weighed them and sent me the results. I bought one of those lines and will probably buy more as time goes on. The head lengths are nice on the lighter lines.

I think I put those weights up somewhere on this forum. They were the tarpon taper series from SA and the Cortland Liquid Crystal floating series. The new generation Cortland that has exibited none of the memory or tangling problems as the first generation allegedly did.

Everyone has to start writing tech at these companies pestering them for grain weights of the entire head, not the useless first 30 feet they insist on giving us. If everyone did that, sooner or later they would get sick of it and start publishing useful information or at least adding useful information to the useless.

Spug said:
That's why I made the comment about Rio having the "full head weight" listed on their site.
The “head weights” Rio has published on the entire Tarpon series of lines are all incorrect on their website. They are the first 30’ weights they are calling “head weights” on their website on the tarpon taper series page. The actual head weight on their 12 wt tarpon line is over 100 grains more than they have published. I don’t know about the other series of lines, but I would not take them at their word without checking further.

kwb said:
Actual weight will not matter so much as the taper will, meaning one line with 33' of line out of the guides will cast heavier than say another taper at 33' even if they weighed the same.
You’re going to have to explain that one to me. I don’t know what you mean by “cast heavier”. A short stubby head will feel clunky compared to a long taper and will land heavier on the water. However, the load on the rod for the same weight out the tip will be very nearly identical. What does change is how much load each rod and each angler can handle. But once that's known, then all that's needed for that angler to buy another line for that rod is the total head weight. The taper affects all kinds of things as far as presentation, shooting, turnover and so on, but weight out the rod tip is going to make the rod behave the same way regardless of the taper.

I did a test last winter where I cast a 12 wt Rio tarpon taper WFF with my old 12 wt Sage RPLX a number of times and marked where I was holding the line prior the the final shoot. The I did the same with a Rio Leviathan WFF. The Rio 12 wt Tarpon taper head with leader weighs 566 grains and to where I was holding the line the total was 690 grains.

The Leviathan head with leader weighs 595 gr. and to where I was holding the running line weighed 709 grains. That is less than a 3% difference in weight to get the same feel, even though the tarpon taper was 10 feet longer and a completely different profile. My object when selecting a line weight is to get one that does not mush out the rod before it mushes out my wrist. Incidently, and surprisingly to me, the overhang out the tip was very close to half the head length on both lines.

I cast both an Xi3 and a Hardy Pro axis with that Rio 12 wt, and neither of them handled that heavy a line the way I like to cast, so I got these figures from Cortland and Sci Anglers. I can only verify the Cortland ones since Joe Goodspeed from Cortland knew exactly what I was after and even labeled the line weights "@ 47’ " for the 47’ head and “@ 42’” for the 42 foot head.

The Sci. Anglers email gave no detail in their email confirming that this was the total head weight I asked for, so they are still suspect and I wouldn’t count on their accuracy. They could well be 30’ weights for all I know. I don’t have any SA lines in that series to weigh for confirmation, and they do not publish any weights at all that I could find in the tarpon series.

Here are the total head weights in those lines which I think I put up on this board somewhere before.

Cortland Liquid Crystal
6-9wt - longer head profile
6wt - 250gn @ 47'
7wt - 275gn @ 47'
8wt - 305gn @ 47'
9wt - 345gn @ 47'

10-12wt compact head design (Cortland Liquid Crystal)
10wt - 350gn @ 42'
11wt - 400gn @ 42'
12wt - 455gn @ 42'

Sci. Anglers Tarpon Taper WFF
Tarpon WF 10: 350 grains
Tarpon WF 11: 385 grains
Tarpon WF 12: 425 grains
Tarpon WF 13: 530 grains

kwb

Reaction score
Jim,

What I was trying to get at is, a line with a 30' head is going to cast heavier with 33' out of the guides than say a line that is designed with a much longer head and therefore at 33' will feel much lighter...

Looking back I didn't really relay what I was trying to say very well...

wjc

Reaction score
Oh, I got you. I must have misinterpreted it. I was actually really surprised that I could overhang 15 feet on than billfish line and still have good control and a good loop. I'd have expected that the running line wouldn't have enough mass to maintain tension for that long an overhang with such a heavy, squatty and abrupt taper.

Cheers,
Jim