Cortland Fairplay Floating Orange Fly Line

BlueBird

Reaction score
Cortland Fairplay Floating Orange Fly Line
WF6F

I just got this this fly line for only $19.95 and its a bargain. I was wondering if these lines are any good? Have anyone have tried this?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
They're a good line for the money. Made for beginners, easy to cast.
They have aggressive taper, similar to a bass bug line.
Just don't expect to make the most delicate presentations.

overmywaders

Reaction score
I bought a WF4F a few years ago at Walmart for $12. The tip sinks if you don't dress it, but otherwise it performs fine on one rod.

I don't like the color. Your line shouldn't last very long, it absorbs all but a few percent of UV, unlike most fly lines which reflect most UV; so it should stiffen and crack after twenty days in the sun (just a guess).

BlueBird

Reaction score
Oh my.. I think i should return this and get a Scientific Fly Lines for an additional $30 and it may worth more as compard to this cheap lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't say this to challenge any other posters but if I had such poor service from a line regardless of the price, I would contact the seller / manufacturer and in the case of Cortland I would think they would make it right.

I am speaking without having had experience with this line but............ The Cortland Line Co. has been making vinyl fly line for a long time. They are a reputable outfit and I doubt they would market a line that will harden and crack after less than a months use.

In the final analysis you must determine whether you want an affordable line that you may harbor concerns about......... or do you want to spring for a better ?? line at a higher cost. Since you already chose the Fair Play line I'm guessing that money matters, so why not give it a whirl and see how it works for you?

Ard

overmywaders

Reaction score
Last edited:

BlueBird

Reaction score
Ard, i guess you are right. Yes, i am at the moment in tight budget. A fews ago i have invested a lot on fly fishing stuff but i lost all my gear. Thats another long story. Now i am trying to build back my equipment little by little. Ok, i will give this line a try. Thanks for the advises guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I picked up a 6WT at Dick's Sporting Goods on clearance for about $10 last year and I've fished it pretty hard. I use it for Largemouth fishing and it performs just fine for poppers and streamers. RipTide is right though, I wouldn't call it a dry fly line. Fish it til it dies.

caseywise

Reaction score
i had a fairplay line a couple years ago on a back up reel and it held up pretty well. it did its job and for the cost, 15 bucks i believe, not to much to complain about.
keep it, fish it. when its worn out regulate it to practice casting:)

casey

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
"This is a full length fly line, a weight forward type of line using Cortland's "Rocket Taper" - which provides a long belly (40') with short front and rear tapers, and a thin level running line behind the head of the fly line. Cost was $19.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

This line comes in a light orange or dark tan color, similar to the color of dry grass in the summer time or early fall. It's made in America (shocking, but refreshing). When spooling the line onto the reel I'm using for it - I noticed the line was pretty tightly coiled onto the spool it came on, and had a bit of memory. This was easily overcome by running the line all the way out, stretching it a bit to straighten it before winding it on. No problemos!"

Sounds like a very 'entry level' line.

BlueBird

Reaction score
When I was about to load them into my fly reel, the plastic spool is so loose and it got separated.. (how nice) and it got the line tangled a bit. Took me some time to get it back into the spool. I have to tie to secure the 2 piece spool together before doing any work. It has a bit line memory, so I let it sit on the sun to get it soften and I stretched it a little and into my fly reel.

I went and test it on my local pond. Not bad but not great. You guys are correct, its a basic line and good for bass or panfish fishing. Yes, you absolutely correct, its not a dry fly line indeed. I think this will be good only for streamers and poppers.