Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4wt line

Default 4wt line

I would like to know what you guys/girls think is a good 4wt line to buy for a beginner that is getting a new Redington CT classic and Lamson Konic 1.5 reel? There are so many out there right now, I'm guessing a WF4? Any brands that won't break the bank that you would recommend?

Default Re: 4wt line

I haven't tried this out yet but considering it's Allen its bound to be good.

ATS Series Weight Forward Floating Fly Line - Allen Fly Fishing Store

For inexpensive lines, SA Supra is good, wouldn't overlook RIO Mainstream or SA Headstart for beginning casters. Cortland 444 is decent.

3. Likes jhardin80 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Check out the new Allen ATS line. You won't be disappointed.

Didn't realize I would be echoing Newby's sentiments when I posted this, but when I hit the button to post all of a sudden there were two about the ATS line, hah.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

5. Likes jhardin80 liked this post

I know that Orvis Clearwater line is 1/2 line weight heavier than listed size. They say this helps beginners feel the rod load. I bought one for a rod I'm giving my wife and fished it this weekend. It cast just fine I'm not sure different line features will mean that much to you as long as you get a decent one. Hardy Marksmen lines aren't too expensive either and I like that on my 5wt rod.
    - William

Quote Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
    Check out the new Allen ATS line. You won't be disappointed.

Didn't realize I would be echoing Newby's sentiments when I posted this, but when I hit the button to post all of a sudden there were two about the ATS line, hah.
    Haha, no worries, great minds think alike . Just like how we both posted at the exact same time to keep the far & fine in the other thread! LOL I digress.....

Blog Entries

+1 for allens ats line. i have a wf5-f and it is very nice.
    ATS Series Weight Forward Floating Fly Line - Allen Fly Fishing Store
    made in USA too
    check it out!

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

I'd bet Rio Gold would be a nice match for that rod. If you look around you might find it on sale. Another option I'd consider is Airflo Ridge Supple Tactical.

I fish both of these and really like them both on rods similar to the CT.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

A lot of "premium" fly lines have been discontinued this year, making them about half off, maybe even more. A good place to check would be Cabelas, and the Cabela's bargain cave if you have a store near you. There are also lots of online retailers offering the discontinued lines at a deeply discounted price with a little searching. I'm sure Allen lines are great for the money, but I personally have never tried one.

-Chase

I just came across this but not sure if it's what you guys would call a "premium" line. But the price is hard to pass up right now.

Cabela's: Sage Ultimate Performance Taper - Freshwater

Ok, now I'm getting some what confused. If I got with a WF4F line what leader and tippet do you guys recommend? Do I stick with a 5x leader and tippet or do I go to a 6x or 4x? I'm fishing a WF5F line with 5x leader and tippet at the moment.

Edit: I guess is what I'm getting at is, can I have my WF4F line tied to a size 6x leader and use 6x tippet or is that too much of a difference in size from the line to the leader?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast