Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default new line for Loomis streamdance GLX

Hi all,
    this is my first post. I recently bought (at half prize on a very good deal) a Loomis streamdance GLX high line speed, 9 ft 5 wt. I'm looking for a very good wf fly line for the rod.

Reading the last rods shootout by yellowstonw angler, george anderson suggests a line half size heavier to better load the rod, especially a Scientific Anglers GPX line, or maybe a Rio Gold.

What do you think about? What can you suggest?

Thanks for your help !

Lamantina

Default Re: new line for Loomis streamdance GLX

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum! On my Streamdance GLX 9' 5wt, I tried the following lines (fished for min 2-3 outings each). I have listed them in order of preference for dry, double nymph and light streamer fishing:

1) Rio Gold WF 5F
    2) Orvis Wonderline WF 5F
    3) Scientific Anglers GPX WF5F
    4) Scientific Anglers Trout WF5F

Not sure whether the George A review points this but the Streamdance GLX has a very nice tip (soft, sensitive), so even normal (not 1/2 wt heavy) lines work well. I did not believe this until I tried the Orvis Wonderline WF5F with this rod. I fish streams with lot of bank side vegetation so do a lot of roll casts. In such situations (roll casting, mending), the Rio GOLD really shines for a weight forward line versus the other options listed above.

Good luck..

3. Default Re: new line for Loomis streamdance GLX

Hi mysticm,
    in my really brief experience I just tried Hardy and Cortland lines. I agree with you, loomis GLX has a very soft and sensitive tip (I prefer a lot these "fishing" and not just "casting" rods).
    Have you ever heard about Snowbee lines? In europe and Uk a lot of people speak very well about this english line.
    Thanks a lot for your useful opinion

Bye

As is characteristic of S. Rajeff's designs at G.Loomis, Streamdance GLX HLS has a sensitive tip for in-close presentation feel and gobs of power lower down. Also typical, because of the sophisticated precision of these rods, they can be quite temperamental to line taper variation. I agree with Mysticism that the RIO Gold is a top choice and I would add the SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper. This rod likes a long head and extended rear taper to maintain loop stability and load the rod deeper during longer casts. While I respect G. Anderson and enjoy his Shootouts and understand his need to limit fly line variables, I disagree with the choice of SA GPX (1/2 size heavy line) for this rod. Other than the Airflo lines marketed in the US I an not familiar with the Snowbee products.

Quote Originally Posted by lamantina View Post
    Hi mysticm,
    in my really brief experience I just tried Hardy and Cortland lines. I agree with you, loomis GLX has a very soft and sensitive tip (I prefer a lot these "fishing" and not just "casting" rods).
    Have you ever heard about Snowbee lines? In europe and Uk a lot of people speak very well about this english line.
    Thanks a lot for your useful opinion

Bye
    Hi Lamantina: I have never cast the Snowbee lines but have heard really good things about them. One thing that may help is to look at the Taper diagrams for the various lines. For e.g., if you like the long extended rear taper then you could refer the taper diagram for the Rio Gold and find out which Snowbee line comes close in terms of the taper.

6. Default Re: new line for Loomis streamdance GLX

I lived in the UK for a year and they do seem to like the Snowbee lines. I never tried them but I will be moving back there sometime this year and I intend on trying them out. I have heard that the snowbee lines feel similar to cortland lines but I am not sure about this. The Snowbee XS seems to be the most popular model and I think people were mostly using them for dry fly fishing or light nymphs on smaller waters. Not so much for large waters that required long distance casting. Not sure if that helps. Hope you find the right line!

7. Default Re: new line for Loomis streamdance GLX

Seems like everybody took my answer . RIO Gold is what my buddy uses on his GLX, which I believe is also a 9' 5wt. Sharkskin, if you are a fan, also reportedly works well. I prefer GPX to sharkskin, but preferences differ. I bet Airflo Ridge Tactical would also do well.