Fly to leader

jhardin80

Reaction score
So for the first time I tried a loop to loop connection from my fly line to leader. I had a new leader so the loop was already there. On my fly line however I tried a perfection loop. The loop itself came out alright ( a little bigger than I wanted) but my problem was the knot. The knot was a little bigger than I thought it would be and it gets stuck in the first eye hole of the tip of the rod.

How do you guys tie your line to leader? I used to use a nail knot but that made it hard to change leaders. I like the loop to loop but I need to see if I can get the knot smaller. Any suggestions? I must have watched a video a hundred times on doing to the loop and it came out good, just that dang knot was too big.

EDIT: The title should read Fly LINE to leader and not Fly to leader lol whoops :)

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Attach a small piece of mono (I use 20lb test on my smaller rods) to you fly line with a nail knot and do a perfection loop on the end of that piece of mono to attach your leader. Most of mine are about 4" long or so.

jhardin80

Reaction score
Attach a small piece of mono (I use 20lb test on my smaller rods) to you fly line with a nail knot and do a perfection loop on the end of that piece of mono to attach your leader. Most of mine are about 4" long or so.
Ahhhh!!! I see now! I will try that as soon as I can get some mono from the store. Now I feel silly, I should have thought of that as I have done basically the same thing with my leader to tippet so I don't have to cut up my leaders as much as I used to.

Thanks for the info!!! :thumbup:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This idea is long-standing and effective. However, take care that the nail knot affixed mono butt is NOT thinner than the butt of your leader or you will hinge like a screen door and destroy the energy transfer from line to leader. Wood River, in my opinion #20 is too thin even for very light lines. Often the distributor of the extruded leader will specify the diameter of the butt section and it is often (in trout size leaders) something like .021".

itchmesir

Reaction score
I usually double over the end of the fly line and tie a nail knot with some uni or kevlar then apply a coat of UV resin or Hard As Nails to the thread.. has worked flawlessly for me

cattech89

Reaction score
Instead of regular mono try Amnesia or something similar that will not retain memory. That will solve your hinging problem. I used to use 20lb amnesia on my 5wt line until I got a line with a built in loop. The 20lb amnesia works like a charm and since its red it works as a built in indicator.

chased

Reaction score
I usually double over the end of the fly line and tie a nail knot with some uni or kevlar then apply a coat of UV resin or Hard As Nails to the thread.. has worked flawlessly for me
That is pretty much what I do and it works great! I double over the fly line and use tying thread to make several whip finishes. Then apply a coat of super glue, then a coat of Hard as Nails. I have never had a loop made this way fail on me.

-Chase

overmywaders

Reaction score
If you whip a loop on the fly line, be sure to bring the thread at least 3/8" onto the single line - I would go 3/4". That decreases the hinging.

Or you can be lazy like me and just do a Jam knot of the line in the Perfection loop of the leader.

silver creek

Reaction score
I use a 6 inch section of Maxima Chameleon, nail knotted to the end o my fly line. For a 5 or 6 wt line, I use 25 lb test which is .020" diameter.

Because Maxima Chameleon is a stiff mono that is used for the butt sections of hand tied leaders, there will be no hinging.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I use a 6 inch section of Maxima Chameleon, nail knotted to the end o my fly line. For a 5 or 6 wt line, I use 25 lb test which is .020" diameter.

Because Maxima Chameleon is a stiff mono that is used for the butt sections of hand tied leaders, there will be no hinging.
I've been using Maxima Chameleon for years to build leaders. Wonderful material.

caseywise

Reaction score
i like 30-40 lb. maxima(i like chameleon) nail knotted to my fly line with a nice tight perfection loop.
to get a nice tight perfection loop, grab some old mono or whatever and practice,practice,practice.....;)
for your nail knots, i recommend the tie-fast. i use it all the time and love it:D
Cabela's: Tie-Fast Knot Tying Tool

casey

nrp5087

Reaction score
I just went to my fly shop and asked George Daniels to rig me up hahah he put 20lb mono with a nail knot and perfection loop :thumbup: He is a very nice guy

dean_mt

Reaction score
The butt section of mono nail-knotted to the fly line and then with a loop at the end of the mono is a long standing practice, yes. But since jhardin's problem is the perfection loop getting snagged in your tip top, I don't see how with will change the problem for you. You will know have two perfection loop knots right next to each other rather than just one and your line loop.

Have you looked at the noon-slip mono loop? It is a great loop knot and might be a little bit smaller than the perfection. I like the knot, but I'm not sure if it is much smaller, maybe a little more stream-lined thought. And with heavy material, like the 0.21 butt of a leader you don't have to use so many wraps around the standing end, try just two and see if it holds, I think it will.

Non-Slip Mono Knot | How to tie a Non-Slip Mono Knot | Fishing Knots

nrp5087

Reaction score
His perfection loop was getting stuck because he tied one right into the fly line not mono or anything of the sort

bsmith95610

Reaction score
8 weight fly line what lb chameleon test?

I have the same issue and will try to do the Chameleon line with a nail knot to the fly line with a perfection loop at the end of the Chameleon line. My question is what lb test should the Chameleon line be if my fly line is 8 weight?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Re: 8 weight fly line what lb chameleon test?

I have the same issue and will try to do the Chameleon line with a nail knot to the fly line with a perfection loop at the end of the Chameleon line. My question is what lb test should the Chameleon line be if my fly line is 8 weight?
The nail knotted mono loop should match the same flexibility as the end of your fly line. This prevents connection from hinging and cracking.
I believe that I use 40# Maxima on my 8wt lines

bsmith95610

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info I'll try the 40lb Maxima Chameleon. I looked online and see that it's .024 in diameter I'm not sure the diameter of normal 8 weight line since those should match but I'll try the 40lb and let you know how it works.