Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flourocarbon

Default Re: flourocarbon

As I said, I normally don't try to sink the tippet on a dry even though I've read you are supposed to. In any event I usually tie about an 18" tippet on the the end of whatever leader I am using. I figured if that 18" sank, that such a short length (18") wouldn't pull a dry under. In any event, for anyone that has done this, is it worthwhile? That is, have you noticed better takes by the trout?

2. Default Re: flourocarbon

Probably all in my head or shear confidence, but I have gone fishing with guides before, same stretch, same flies, but choose fluoro and I do catch more.
    I should say, I use a 5' to 6' furled leader very well greased for dries and usually at least 3' of fluoro give or take. I tie the flies one with a Surgeon's loop and it works for me.

Blog Entries

Hey, flouro for subsurface, mono for dries. That's been the understood use since flouro came out. Doesn't mean everyone uses them the same, but the flouro is heavier than mono, thus it sinks easier. As far as catching more fish on top using flouro tippets, it's not worth the tradeoff for me to deal with the aggrivation of the tippet dragging my fly under. Use mono, grease things up and make a good presentation.

This past Saturday I was fishing dry flies and using mono tippets. My largest fish, a 23-inch, 6lb rainbow, charged two-feet across the surface to take my Parasol Emerger fly hanging off of a 2x mono tippet. The other fish I caught were all 18 to 22 inches and they took a size 14 dry fly emerger pattern attached to a 4x tippet with a Dnncan Loop (Uni)knot. Presentation was the key.

All of my dry fly surface fishing is done this way. proof is in the puddin':

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

4. Default Re: flourocarbon

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
    Hey, flouro for subsurface, mono for dries. That's been the understood use since flouro came out. Doesn't mean everyone uses them the same, but the flouro is heavier than mono, thus it sinks easier. As far as catching more fish on top using flouro tippets, it's not worth the tradeoff for me to deal with the aggrivation of the tippet dragging my fly under. Use mono, grease things up and make a good presentation.

This past Saturday I was fishing dry flies and using mono tippets. My largest fish, a 23-inch, 6lb rainbow, charged two-feet across the surface to take my Parasol Emerger fly hanging off of a 2x mono tippet. The other fish I caught were all 18 to 22 inches and they took a size 14 dry fly emerger pattern attached to a 4x tippet with a Dnncan Loop (Uni)knot. Presentation was the key.

All of my dry fly surface fishing is done this way. proof is in the puddin':

Kelly.

My 6 lber's bigger than yours....LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    My 6 lber's bigger than yours....LOL

That's a 10 pounder girl, any fisher person can see that! Wow, what a fish! Mojo asked about the water I was on, Bruce Staples called me about it today and is there as we speak. It was beyond fantastic, you guys have got to come and play.

kelly.

6. Default Re: flourocarbon

I agree we need to wet some flies, but right now it looks like third week of Sept. at the H
    Can you do that? We want to do a Sat. to following Sun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I agree we need to wet some flies, but right now it looks like third week of Sept. at the H
    Can you do that? We want to do a Sat. to following Sun.
    So far, so good. Sunday is out for me, but the Saturday will definitely work.. I'll PM you for details.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled flourocarbon thread...

Kelly.

Well then, is it generally agreed that for dry fly fishing a flourocarbon tippet really isn't necessary- more for subsurface?

9. Default Re: flourocarbon

It depends on who you ask. I use it on everything...necessary? Makes all the difference in to world - to me. Like I said I fish #32's (DRIES) in the winter and I use fluoro.

Well then maybe I'll stop being a cheap son of a gun and get some.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12