Recommended Fly Line for a Slow/Moderate Slow Rod

whalensdad

Reaction score
I built my first rod over Christmas. It was a 7'6" 5wt no-name blank and I didn't know or think to check the action of the blank before I purchased it. So now I'm stuck with trying to determine what to line it with. Most lines indicate that they are designed for fast rods, so I'm looking for recommendations for my rod.

Thanks,
Lee

littledavid123

Reaction score
Might think about the Mastery Series WF GPX. But personally, I would hope for a response from sweetandsalt or send him a PM. :)

Dave

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Today, because of the popularity of fast fly rods, most fly lines are manufactured a bit on the heavy side, so a 5-weight fly line is really a 5 1/2-weight line.

For your fly rod I would look for a line that weighs true to the orginal line-weight specifications. You'll probably have to call fly line companies to find such a line.

(Try Hardy lines.)

Randy

jaybo41

Reaction score
If you don't know the action of the rod you purchased, is it possible to talk with someone where you purchased the blank and confirm which type of action it might be? Do you have other rods that you know the action of that you might be able to compare to?

whalensdad

Reaction score
If you don't know the action of the rod you purchased, is it possible to talk with someone where you purchased the blank and confirm which type of action it might be? Do you have other rods that you know the action of that you might be able to compare to?
The rods already built and I've been casting it with the 5wt line I use on another rod, that's how I can tell it is soft (as well as had others give me their opinions :) )

jaybo41

Reaction score
I wasn't sure from your initial post what type of rod you were looking to line, hence my questions. Now that I know what you're looking for, I can say that my slowest rod, the 380-3 Winston WT casts really nicely with Airflo Ridge Supple Tactical DT line. In WF, Rio Gold is a favorite of mine that seems to pair well with rods that like true line weights.

I've heard very good things about the Hook & Hackle lines. As I understand it, they're made by Cortland.

Sweetandsalt did a through review of SA's Textured Trout Stalker line that is also worth a read.

Edit: Thanks for posting the link Larry, I guess I got kind of lazy. :p

Last edited:

mikel

Reaction score
You say the rod is soft and you can tell that by casting a 5 wt line on it.....but what I don't get is the problem? With the 5 wt line, is the rod folding up on you with only a few feet of line out?

What is the rod NOT DOING that you want it to do?

A long time ago a fellow member here asked me if I liked casting off the tip of the rod or casting from the mid section. I didn't understand the question right away, but as I thought about it, I found that casting off the tip produces less feel and control for me than using the flex of the rod as my friend...and feeling the rod load deeply is enjoyable for me.

I have a 7'6" very slow glass 6wt and I still over line that rod. That rod is never cast over about 30 feet and like the way it feels loaded down the length of the rod.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Being a "No Name" blank, it may not be what they say it is. Heck, even with a "Real Name" blank it's probably not what they say it is. I've got rods that are from 1 less than they say to 2 1/2 more than they say. I'd first thing check to see what weight it really is. Then think about a line.

Joni

Reaction score
I am a Shark Skin girl and love that half size bigger in the GPX, but one other line I have and use is the Orvis Superfine. This line blows SYLK away in my opinion ;-) It is a wonderfully smaller diameter line that is very easy to cast in wind, and mend on the most complicated currents.
And it is on sale for a killer price right now.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My fishin' partner normally fishes Sylk lines on his bamboo rods, but for some reason last summer he had a Sylk line on a graphite. Don't know what kind, but he's not into "fast".
It was painful for me to sit behind him in the canoe and witness him struggling to get a cast off.
I finely got feed up watching and made him change lines.

Just sayin'

delopez

Reaction score
If you have a local fly shop around, you could just take the rod there and ask to try out a few lines on it. I have a winston b2t 9' 5wt and I have a SA Mastery Textured series Trout Stalker on it. I love it.

Best bet would be to actually try 4 and 5 weight lines of your choice on there. Most fly shops 'should' let you cast lines. A lot of them have reels spooled up and ready to go.