Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: hand tied leaders

Parting shot from me on leaders. First, the Harvey formula, as advanced by George himself, ties the entire leader with soft mono, no hard Mason or Maxima. His latest formula indeed starts with .015 and goes down. Harvey's original formulas did step down by the .002 increment and that was enough to make me look to other ideas.

Gary Borger's formulas make sense and are a lot easier to tie. He recommends the 5/7 blood knot for the first two segments. So, 4' of .020 with five turns in the blood knot to the .013 which has seven turns in its part of the knot. The 1' length of .013 uses five turns and the next segment, either 1x or 2x, uses seven turns. The 1x or 2x segment is 4' lone. Use 1x for dry flies and 2x for wets. Use a double surgeons knot for the 1X/2X join to the 24 to 36" of tippet for a dry fiy leader and 8 to 12" for a nymph leader. Note, only the tippet is soft and the other sections are brown Maxima. There are several different knots to use to anchor strike indicators or split shot.

For different length leaders, lengthen or shorten each segment in proportion to the overall desired length.
    Last edited by glcaddis; 03-30-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added additional info.

2. Likes bear 007 liked this post

It's been almost 2 years since I last posted on this topic and I'm interested in any new revelations on hand tied leaders, their design and the actual construction. Lately, I've been going very simple--60% butt section, double uni-knot, 20% middle, double uni-knot, and 20% tippet. So for a trout leader, I'd start with .017, drop to .011, and add 4 or 5x tippet. For a steelhead leader, I'd start with 30#, drop to 20#, and then to 10 or 12#. Haven't had any problems with hinging or refusals. Brown maxima for the top two sections and Orvis Ultra Strong for the tippet.

Quote Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
    and I'm interested in any new revelations on hand tied leaders,
    New ?
    Interesting maybe. See #3

Tom Rosenbaur's 8 tips on becoming a better fly fisher
    http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-f...er-fly-fisher/
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234