sink tip vs full sinking line spring fishing

dewbar

Reaction score
Hi I have a 5/6 rod and reel with 6wf floating line. Im getting ready for fishing season april 1st. I live in maine and plan to fish streamers and nymphs on some still water brooks,ponds,lakes (from shore or wading) and rivers of course. The water will be quite high because of the snow melt. Im thinking ill be fishing from 5' to 15' deep. I'm trying to decide if i should get a sinking/floating line, sink tip, full sinking or different weighted leaders via loop to loop. So far ive only fished with floating line. any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would like to order it soon in time for the season. thanks

O

okuma

Welcome to the site! If I were you I would use sink tip merely for the fact I find it easier to control when casting(easier to pull out of the water for the next cast I mean);)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If you're fishing in moving water a full sinking line will get caught up in the current and you'll have very little line control.
Full sinking lines are better on still water, but probably not best for you anyways as you'll be on dry land or wading.
If you were "tubing" or trolling streamers, that's where the full sink would be most appropriate.

The sink tip is almost a necessity for fishing streamers in fast water.
You won't be sorry.

dewbar

Reaction score
Ok thanks ill look into a sink tip. Any suggestions on the sink rate?

Reaction score
sink rate depends a lot on flow, typically i use a floating line with 5-10ft of T8, T11 or T14 depending on how far i'm casting and how high/fast the water is...

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Ok thanks ill look into a sink tip. Any suggestions on the sink rate?
If you wanted to get specific about it, you're going to have to know how deep down that you're trying to reach and how fast the water is.
Unless you know that or want to cover all the bases, just get something "average".
I think that the sink-tip lines that I own are all 3s
My full sink lines are mostly 3s also with one or two 6s
(not counting intermediates and type 1)

dewbar

Reaction score
I bought this
Brand New In Box Cortland 333+ Sink-Tip Rocket Taper - Type 3 (84')

The 333+ Sink-Tip Rocket taper increases casting ease versus a full-sinking line yet allows you to efficiently fish below the surface.

The first 10 feet of line are a sinking Type 3 (3.5 - 4 inches per second) material that is ideal for wet fly and nymph fishing.
Sizes: WF 6
Type: 10' Type 3 (3.5 - 4 IPS)
Taper: WF
Color: Gecko Green / Dark Brown
Core: Nylon Braid

it was only 20$ on ebay, hopefully it works good. thanks for the help