New Here and Need Some Line Help

random user

Reaction score
Just joined and looking for some info / opinions.

It's been a bunch of years since I fished and I need to replace the lines on my rods since I was so careful about storage.

Have:
7' 6" 3-weight, moderate action that is used in tight spaces, smaller, nymphs, wets and some dries.
9' 5-weight, moderate action that sees just about everything, and I don't mind tweaking leaders to achieve various affects
9' 7-weight, moderate action that is mostly for big streamers and the occasional bass bug.

Looking to replace my old Cortland Laser Lines and Borger neutral buoyancy lines and have no idea which direction to head.

Looking for
Floating , weight forward lines
Preferably not in day-glo, electric, pychodelic, chartreuse
Preferably without a "welded loop"
Lines in the $75-tivergake-a-bit range

What are my best options?
Thanks much

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
HI,

I would simply advise an on-line search to various web sites such as Scientific Anglers, Rio, etc, and see what they offer in color and design that will meet your needs. I am not very fussy about lines and use mostly SA Mastery Series on my single hand rods. Many of my lines are over 10 years old and still provide good service. Before replacing lines I would recommend careful inspection to reveal whether or not they are severely checked and cracked.

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
For the 3 and 5 weights, use a standard weighted line like a SA Mastery Trout.

I'm assuming that you want a floating line for your 7 weight. In that case, I'd go with a 1/2 weight overlined line like a SA Mastery GPX. It will allow your rod to load more with some big ugly wind resistant streamers or bass bugs.

As for welded loops. If you don't want them, cut them off.

Dennis

random user

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Careful inspection isn't needed - cracks are visible from a casual, passing, fleeting, over the shoulder glance.

Looking for floating weight forwards for all three actually.

The #3 is more about subtle; #5 I think I want a more distance oriented general purpose line; The #7 weight gets an #8 weight line for still water large mouth.

Have been reading and reading on the web. Can't find much in the way of data or comparisons I can relate to, so I am apprehensive of buy lines because I am going to be getting a few of them.

Maybe I just need to get past being a cynic and maybe believe some of the claims aren't 99.99% sales pitch and .01% lies.

Wulff lines are looking interesting.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I can only speak somewhat intelligently on the 3 wt. and the 5 wt. lines and where to get them. Airflo Ridgeline is good true weight line that casts/roll casts and mends well and is fairly limp. Retails for around $75, but redtruckflyfishing.com almost always has some on sale (approx. $35-$50). I have SA Textured Mastery series on my 4 wt. and find it nearly as long casting as the Sharkskin I had, without the bloody fingers. It also rollcasts/mends well and it's nearly as limp as the Sharkskin was, retails about $75.

I recently had the opportunity to cast Rio's (pretty sure it's Rio) Indicator line and was pleasantly surprised. In all respects it seems to cast like any GP line; it just has a bright orange tip (approx. 20 inches?). However, it mended much more easily than my Grand line, maybe even better than my Sharkskin line. Not sure how much this line is, but five will get you ten that it's right around $75-$80.

Well, there you go, about all I know about lines.

peace.

Reactions: Ard

glcaddis

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of different fly lines over the years. Currently, I think the Airflo ridge lines are among the best for general use. Most of the major US makers are getting so specialized that it is hard to separate the chaff from the wheat. If I were an occasional user, I'd gravitate back to the Cortland 444 series lines. They are soft and easy to cast and tend to be cheaper than the others.

random user

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of different fly lines over the years. Currently, I think the Airflo ridge lines are among the best for general use. Most of the major US makers are getting so specialized that it is hard to separate the chaff from the wheat. If I were an occasional user, I'd gravitate back to the Cortland 444 series lines. They are soft and easy to cast and tend to be cheaper than the others.
I hear you on the over specialized thing. That's a big part of what is hanging me up right now. Waiting to find "rainy day line", "sunny day line" and "chance of rain line".

Not so keen on the idea of buying a Cortland line which was made by someone else. Cortland ceased being a company an while ago and sold off some of their products.

Did get a chance to cast an SA Mastery distance line on my #7 yesterday. Was an #8 line. "Sweet spot" for me was 62' of line (and that was with a pickup off the lawn which is still winter brown). Definitely changed my mind about long-bodied lines.